One of Susan's passions is cooking and creating new recipes for family and friends.
You Don't Have to Spend a Lot for a Tasty Steak
Have a hankering for a steak but just cannot bring yourself to pay the high cost of a good T-bone, porterhouse, or even sirloin? Most people do not believe me when I tell them that I can make a blade steak that will be tender and flavorful.
Cook Times Vary Depending on Thickness and Doneness
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Depends on how much steak you cook
- 2–3 pounds of blade steak
- 10 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 10 shakes (or to taste) of garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 10 shakes (or to taste) of Montreal steak seasoning
- If the blade steak is fairly thick, pound it with a meat mallet on both sides. If the steak is not that thick, just place in a dish and stab it all over with a sharp knife. (This is a great way to get out your aggressions while cooking.)
- Put the steak into a glass dish or a marinating tray, and stab with a sharp knife all over.
- Douse the steak with Worcestershire sauce so that it is soaked. Season with garlic powder or granulated garlic and Montreal steak seasoning. Cover and refrigerate for at least three hours.
- When you are ready to cook, either fire up the grill or preheat the broiler in your oven. If you are going to broil, use the top rack in your oven.
- I prefer my meat rare and find that with this cut of meat, the more you cook it, the tougher it will become. I tend to serve this rare to medium-rare.
Cooking Chart for Steak
|Steak||Minutes on the Grill||Minutes Under the Broiler|
3/4" well done
1" well done
1 1/4" rare
1 1/4" medium
1 1/4" well done
1 1/2" rare
1 1/2" medium
1 1/2" well done
1 3/4" rare
1 3/4" medium
1 3/4" well done
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 12 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced razor-thin (like in the movie Goodfellas)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or cooking oil
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Add onions and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add green pepper chunks and garlic cloves, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are cooked to your liking.
- Serve on top of the steak.
Serve with a baked potato, Caesar or garden salad, and vegetables of your choice.
Questions & Answers
Question: I have blade steak strips. How long would you grill? I am thinking 2-4 minutes.
Answer: It all depends on how thick the blade steak strips are.
© 2011 Susan Zutautas