How to Make Cottage Pie: Ground Beef Mince Recipe
Cottage Pie Recipe
Best Cottage Pie Recipe
One of the nicest dinners to make with ground beef mince is a cottage pie. If you are looking for dinner ideas, then this is one of those recipes that is quick, easy, and very tasty. I will share the basic recipe, and then I will list other possible ingredients you can use to adjust the recipe to your own taste. Along the way, I will provide step-by-step instructions, photos, and videos.
Ground Beef Recipes
- 500g (1 pound) ground beef mince
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 large onion
- Oxo Cube beef
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Pre heat the oven to 200C.
- Peel and cut up the onions into small pieces.
- Take a large pot, and add the oil to heat.
- Add the onions and cook until golden brown.
- Add the mince ground beef gradually stirring all the time.
- When the mince is brown add boiling water that just covers the meat.
- Leave to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and grate one of the carrots and add to the pot.
- Peel and cut up the other carrot into small squares and add to pot.
- Add the beef cube by crumbling up over the pot and stirring in to avoid any lumps.
- Leave to simmer for twenty minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the frozen peas and simmer for an extra ten minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave in the pot to cool off.
- Take out an appropriate oven dish and add the pie mixture from the pot.
How to Make the Mashed Potato Topping
- Peel the potatoes and cut each one into four even pieces.
- Add to a pot with cold water.
- Bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat down so the potatoes are simmering for fifteen minutes.
- Turn off the heat and drain the water from the pot.
- Add some milk and butter to the potatoes and mash them.
- The mash needs to be more loose than normal so you can spread it onto the pie.
- Add more milk gradually until you have it just right.
- Add the mashed potatoes to the pie by gradually placing tablespoons of it along the dish.
- Using the back of the spoon pull the potatoes along until the dish is covered evenly.
- To make the ridges like I have in the photos use the edge of the spoon to lift the potato slightly up in some places.
- Put in the middle part of the oven for thirty minutes at 200C or 180C if a fan oven.
If you want, you can put the pie dish under the grill, but I prefer to put it in the oven. The oven is able to heat up the ingredients and cooks the topping all the way through. You still get that lovely crispy taste to the potatoes.
Homemade Cottage Pie
You can add parsley, mixed herbs, tomatoes, or tomato puree to the pot as you are cooking the mince filling. You can also add a dash of Worcestershire or Tobago sauce. It all depends on your individual taste. I prefer mine with just the ingredients I have used in this recipe, but the filling of the pie can be changed around all the time if you wish.
The potato topping can be changed by adding half the amount of potatoes and cooking some parsnips or turnips for the other half. Or once you have spread the potatoes on top of the pie you can grate some cheese over it.
Salt and Pepper
I do not add salt and pepper for health reasons of some of my family. For those of us who are allowed salt we add it when it is dished up on our individual plates. The cottage pie would taste better if you add the salt and pepper in the mince and in the potatoes as you cook them if you can.
How To Freeze Cottage Pie
I used 650 grams of mince when I cooked the above cottage pie because I wanted to freeze some of it. I made two family size cottage pies and one smaller one. I let the pie filling go completely cold in the two oven dishes I would cook them in later. I placed a large plastic bag over them and put them in the freezer.
When I know I want to have cottage pie for that evenings dinner I take the filling out of the freezer and put it in the fridge that morning to defrost. Then I cook the potatoes and add to the filling. I put it in a pre-heated oven for thirty minutes at the low heat of 140 c and then higher it to 200 c for another twenty minutes.