How to Cook a Meal with Lamb Chops
How to Cook Lamb Chops
I show you how to cook lamb chops with roast potatoes and cauliflower cheese.
This recipe dish is quick and easy as it only takes fifty minutes to prepare and cook.
Step by step instructions with photos.
In the UK lamb chops and cutlets are quite expensive. I always look out in the stores and supermarkets until they are on special offer.
That way I can buy them when they are cheap and freeze them. Then if the money allows I buy enough for a few dinners.
Lamb Chops Freeze Very Well
This recipe for Lamb chops will include a full dinner of oven cooked lamb, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, cabbage and sprouts.
I also added gravy and mint sauce
Preparation and Cooking Time for Lamb Chops Recipe
- Preparation of Lamb chops - 2 minutes
- Cooking time - 50 mins
- Preparation time of roast potatoes, cauliflower and other vegetables - 20 mins
- The potatoes for the roast and other veg are prepared as the lamb chops cook in the oven. Therefore the whole dish takes 50 mins to prepare and cook.
Buying Lamb Chops on Special Offer
Ingredients for Lamb Chops - Dinner for two People
- 4 medium Lamb Chops
- Three medium potatoes, for roast
- Two small potatoes, for mash
- Half cauliflower, Cut in to small pieces
- Half Cabbage, Cut in to small pieces
- 6 large sprouts, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons Grated cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons Bisto gravy powder
- 2 teaspoons Mint sauce
Instructions on How to Cook Lamb Chops in the Oven
- Preheat oven on the highest setting for 10 minutes
- Wash the chops under the tap.
- Place in a suitable sized oven dish
- Add enough water to come up three quarters the way up to the chops
- Place in the highest part of the oven at 180 degrees.
- After twenty minutes remove the cutlets from the oven and turn around in the dish.
- Place them back in the oven for a further twenty minutes.
- Remove the chops from the oven. Take out a few table spoons of the juice surrounding the meat for your gravy.
- Leave for five minutes. This allows the flavour to settle.
- Put back in the oven to heat a few minutes before you dish up the dinner
Preparing the Roast Potatoes and Cauliflower Cheese
Roast Potatoes Recipe
- Cut up the potatoes the size you prefer your roast to be.
- Place in a roasting dish with a small amount of oil
- Put in the oven on the top shelf at the same time as the lamb chops
Cauliflower Cheese Recipe
- Cut up the cauliflower in small pieces and add to an oven dish
- Add a small amount of milk, making sure to wet the cauliflower as you pour it.
- The milk should only be three quarters way up.
- Add the grated cheese on top of the cauliflower
- The amount of cheese and milk depends on your taste.
- Once you have cooked cauliflower cheese a few times you will know how much cheese topping you and your family prefer
- Put the dish in the oven, middle shelf, fifteen minutes after you put in the lamb chops and roast potatoes.
That is your Roast Potatoes and Cauliflower Cheese Ready and Cooking in the Oven with the Lamb Chops
How to Cook Cauliflower Cheese and Roast Potaotes
How To Prepare and Cook the Vegetables
- Peel potatoes.
- Cut up the potatoes into small pieces and wash under the tap
- Put in a small saucepan in water.
- Peel the outer leaves from the sprouts
- Cut the hard end off
- If they are large sprouts you can cut them in half
- Wash under the tap and put in a medium saucepan in water
- Cut up the cabbage in to quarters for easy use
- Then slice the cabbage leaves into smaller pieces
- Put in a medium sized pot and wash thoroughly under the tap
The potatoes, sprouts and cabbage should be placed on the cooker thirty minutes before the lamb chops and roast are ready.
If you want to speed this up you can add boiling water to the pans and the cooking time is five minutes less.
I like my sprouts soft so give them twenty five minute to cook
The cabbage and potatoes only take twenty minutes to cook
How to Cook Sprouts, Cabbage and Mashed Potatoes
How to Make Gravy, Kind of!
Some prefer gravy with the lamb chops and other like mint sauce.
I actually have both and add the mint sauce to my gravy on the plate. Give it a try, it is a very unique taste and really enhances the taste of the lamb chop.
Instructions for Making Gravy
Take a medium sized pot and add the following:
- Half the amount of water from the pot where the cabbage is cooking
- Wait until the cabbage has been cooking for about ten minutes so that you will have the flavour and the nutrients in the water.
- Replace the cabbage pot with more boiling water.
- The same amount of hot water
- The meat juices you removed from the dish with the lamb chops in
- You will have about half a pint of liquid in the pot. Bring to the boil.
Preparing the Gravy Mix Powder
- Put about four tablespoons of cold water into a cup and add two tablespoons of the gravy powder.
- Mix very well with a wooden or plastic spoon until all the powder has dissolved into the water.
- If it is too thick add more water. Make sure all the lumps are gone
- Now comes the part where you have to concentrate if this is the first time you have made gravy like this.
- Bring the water to the boil in the pot and start to stir in the mixed gravy powder at a continuous level and speed.
- Do this until all the powder is gone OR if the gravy in the pot is getting too thick.
How to Make Gravy
That is your gravy cooked and ready for when you have the dinner on the plate.
I have just realised writing these instructions for the gravy really makes it sound hard but it is not.
Give it a try because this is the best way to make homemade gravy.
Once you have tasted the difference you will be making gravy this way with every meat dish. I can not give you precise measurements of the amount of cabbage water, plain water and meat juices.
I have been making this gravy for years and do it depending on how many people I am cooking for. But the best thing about gravy is that is lasts in the fridge until the next day and freezes great.
I always make enough gravy for everyone and extra for the freezer when I am cooking any red meat. I freeze it in a bowl and then just pop it in the microwave when needed.
I do not make homemade gravy from scratch with flour. The reason I do not cook gravy this way is that it takes too long and to be honest I prefer the taste when it is made from the Bisto powder.
You can buy Gravy granules where you only have to add boiling water and hey presto your gravy is made.
It tastes awful and I never use it even in an emergency. But a lot of my family do not mind the taste and use the granules in their own cooking
Dish up this oven cooked dish of Lamb chops with roast potatoes and vegetables
- Remove the food from the cooker as everything should be cooked at the same time
- Drain the cabbage, sprouts and potatoes of water
- At this stage if you wish you can add salt or butter
- Cover with a lid to keep warm as you remove the roast potatoes, lamb chops and cauliflower cheese from the oven.
- Dish up this delicious lamb chop dinner and enjoy!
All images are copyright of L.M.Reid
Oven Baked Lamb Chops
More by this Author
Best Scones Recipe. How To Make Scone Recipes with step by step instructions and photos.
Homemade Hamburger Recipe. How To Make the Best Hamburgers Recipes.
Egg Mayonnaise sandwiches recipe. How to Make an Egg Mayo Sandwich. Step by step instructions and photos.