How to Make Sardine Rolls
Sardine rolls are one of my favorite snacks. When I was in my hometown, I used to make these a lot for teatime with my family.
We loved eating sardine rolls while sitting and watching our favorite show.
They are super easy, and after you made it once, you will want to make it more!
- A can of sardine (put in a bowl and mashed with a spoon)
- An onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 spoon of red pepper paste
- 2-3 bird's eye chilies thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 cups of all purposes flour
- 4 tablespoons of margarine (room temperature)
- 1 cup of cold water
- Oil for frying
- An egg for egg wash
- Bread crumbs
- Prepare the sardine filling: Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Saute the onion, garlic, and the red pepper paste for 5 minutes, add the sardine, tamarind juice, bird's eye chilies, a pinch of salt and sugar. Cook for about 5 minutes and turn off the heat. Set a side.
- Prepare the pastry: In a bowl, combine flour, a pinch of salt, and margarine. Use your hand to incorporate the ingredients, and slowly pour in the water bit by bit. Keeps kneading until it forms a dough, it should make at least 12 rolls.
- Shape the rolls: Use a rolling pin, stretch the dough as thin as you can.Then, take a spoonful of sardine filling and spread on the rolls.Wrap the sardine by taking the bottom of the rolls and pinch the edges with a finger to seal it. You are free to shape the roll as you want, there are no rules here :) Continue rolling and shaping the dough until all it's done.
- Brush the egg wash on the rolls and coat with the bread crumbs.
- Fry the rolls in a pan (make sure the oil is ready over a high heat) and the rolls should be ready when it begins to turn golden brown.
- Enjoy the rolls with your favorite dip!
Photo TutorialClick thumbnail to view full-size
© 2017 Liza