Melissa is a certified food scientist with over 20 years in the food industry. New food development and matching are her specialties.
Brussel sprouts contain a wealth of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein. They can be flavorfully combined to share the center, not just the side, of a dish.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 12 oz link sausage, thinly sliced (pork and venison used here)
- 1 package or ~ 1 lb brussel sprouts, thinly-sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, medium-sliced
- 1 medium granny smith apple, cored, thinly-sliced
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- to taste salt and pepper
- serve over grain, (mushroom couscous used)
- as needed olive oil
- In a large fry pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion and saute, turning occasionally for 3 - 4 minutes or until the sausage browns slightly.
- Add the sprouts and apple, salt and pepper. Continue to saute 2 minutes. Add brown sugar, vinegar, and water. Toss 1 - 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cover. Let sit 5 - 10 minutes.
- Serve over your choice of grain or bread. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.