Sarah is a mom of five beautiful children. One of her passions is cooking simple and healthy meals her family will love.
I don’t know about you, but sometimes finding meals that everyone in our household will love can be challenging. My kids are not picky eaters; however, they all enjoy different foods. Some are more meat eaters, two are salad lovers, two love pasta and three don’t. This chicken souvlaki dinner is a hit in our house for all five of our children, which is a total mom-win for me! My children call it chicken on a stick, and I always have to make extra so they have leftovers for their school lunches the next day. I hope your family enjoys this easy recipe as much as mine does.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
12 to 18 skewers
Let’s Get Started
- 1 family pack boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2-3 lemons
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
- Dash of salt & pepper
- Large mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Cutting knife
- Cutting board
- Garlic press (optional)
- Lemon juicer (optional)
- 12-18 bamboo skewers
Prep and Marinating Instructions
Marinate the Meat and Prep the Skewers
- Cut your chicken breasts into 1 1/2-to-2-inch cubes and place into mixing bowl.
- Add your olive oil to the bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 to 3 lemons into the bowl.
- Add the oregano and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Add crushed garlic.
- Mix all the ingredients together until all of the chicken is coated. Cover and refrigerate for 1 1/2 or more hours.
- While your chicken marinates, it’s a good idea to pre-soak your wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes before cooking with them.
Are you a Garlic Lover Like Me?
Time to Grill
This is my favourite part! Follow these instructions once your chicken has finished marinating.
- Preheat grill or bbq to 400 degrees.
- Place 5 to 6 chicken cubes on each skewer.
- Place your souvlaki skewers on grill for 20 to 22 minutes, turning 2 to 3 times during cooking.
Viola, you're done! Serve your chicken souvlaki with a wedge of lemon or some yummy tzatziki sauce.
This is another very versatile dish and can be served with many side dishes. My family’s favourite sides include:
- Basmati Rice
- Lemon Greek Potatoes
- Carrots with Dill
- Grilled Tomatoes
- Grilled Zucchini
- Grilled Asparagus
- Greek or Cesar Salad
- Tzatziki Sauce
We hope you enjoy your meal! Comment or ask questions below.
Rate this Recipe
© 2018 Sarah Cook
Liza from USA on September 20, 2018:
This seems quick and easy to make! I'd love to make this for dinner. Thanks for sharing!
Victoria Cook from Ontario on September 18, 2018:
Sounds delicious!! I can’t wait to try it :)
Sarah Cook (author) from Wasaga Beach on September 18, 2018:
Thanks Susan! My kids love it, they also love helping me make it! Why food on sticks are so amazing to kids, I’ll never know! Let me know how you like it!
Susan Hazelton from Sunny Florida on September 18, 2018:
A definite must try for me. I sounds like this could become one of my new favorites. I can't wait to try it.