Simple Honey Chilli Chicken Recipe
The Ultimate Chinese Dish
As arguably one of the most popular Chinese dishes, honey chilli chicken remains a staple dish on any takeaway or restaurant menu. This recipe is a simple guide to recreating your favourite takeaway dish in the comfort of your own home, without the costly delivery charges.
This dish has been a favourite of mine for many years, I wouldn't dream of visiting a Chinese restaurant and ordering anything else. However, visiting restaurants, or ordering theses dishes from the local Chinese spot can become expensive (especially if you visit as frequently as me). So through many trials of different batters and flavour blends, I have created an easy-to-follow recipe, at half the cost.
Hope you enjoy!
- 4 Chicken Breasts, Diced
- Oil to fry
- 2 Large Eggs, Whisked
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 Spring onions, Diced
- 2 Bell Peppers (any colour), Diced
- 1 White onion, Diced
- 1 Red Chilli, Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Diced
- 4 tblsp Dark Soy sauce
- 4 tblsp Honey
- 2-4 tspn Chinese 5 Spice
Chinese 5 Spice
Chinese 5 spice can be found in most supermarkets. If you are unable to find the spice mixture, you may use your own mixture of ground star anise, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and fennel seeds.
- Dice or slice chicken breasts into strips, depending on preference.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk.
- Add cornflour to a separate bowl, and season with salt and pepper. The recipe normally takes around half a bag of flour, but may vary slightly according to size of chicken breasts.
- Taking your pieces of chicken, coat them firstly in the egg, and then in the flour, ensuring an even coating.
- Add oil to your pan, a wok or deep frying pan is best for shallow frying. You may fry your chicken in any oil of your preference, although I have found using a mixture of rapeseed and sesame oil has the best flavour. Heat oil until hot and bubbling.
- Place the chicken the in pan, the chicken should sizzle on impact meaning the oil is hot enough. Cook chicken until golden brown, making sure to turn regularly for an even crispy coating.
- Finely dice the garlic and all vegetables.
- Add a small amount of oil to the pan, and fry vegetables.
- To the vegetables, add approximately 4 tablespoons of soy sauce (more can be added later if needed).
- Add the 5 spice to the pan (I use around 4 teaspoons, although this depends on heat tolerance).
- Once the vegetables are nicely browned, you can add the honey. Simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes stirring continuously until sticky.
- At this point you can add more honey or soy if you feel it's needed, although the sauce is more of a coating.
- Add the rested chicken to the pan, coating thoroughly in the sticky sauce until hot.
- Serve the honey chicken with egg fried rice, or a side of your choice (chips or stir fry vegetables are popular options).
Salt and Pepper Chicken
This recipe can be adapted to make salt and pepper/salt and chilli chicken. Simply replace the honey with 2 tbsp of sugar and add a little more soy. Alternatively, swap the chicken for chips and enjoy as a side dish.