Thelma is a former field editor for Taste of Home magazine and has a huge collection of recipes submitted to her from cooks across the USA.
A burrito with ground beef is always a great meal. A burrito that you can make quickly on the skillet is even better. Here is an easy recipe for a skillet burrito.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 cup water
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 3 8 inch flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- 3 green onions
- 1 can black olives
- Brown ground beef in a skillet. When cooked, remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl lined with paper towels to absorb any grease. Discard grease left in the skillet.
- Add taco seasoning to the empty skillet. The recipe calls for only 1/2 packet, but if you like more spice, use the entire package.
- Add water and salsa to the skillet and stir until the taco seasoning is dissolved.
- Return ground beef to the skillet; cook over low heat until the liquid starts to thicken.
- Rinse the black beans in a strainer under running water. See picture. Add beans to the skillet.
- Fold the tortillas into fourths and cut into strips with kitchen shears. See picture. Add strips to the skillet.
- Stir cheese into skillet. Remove from heat and cover to allow the cheese a few minutes to melt before serving.
- Using kitchen shears, cut green onions into small slices, including the green tops of the onions. Place in small serving bowl.
- Place green onions, black olives, sour cream, and tortilla chips in bowls and allow each diner to add to their burritos as desired.
Rinse Canned Black Beans Before Adding to Skillet
Fold Tortillas in Fourths and Cut Into Strips
Kitchen Shears Are a Must Have
As you can see from this recipe, a good pair of shears can come in handy in the kitchen. I use Wusthof shears for cutting pizza, hot dog slices, raw chicken, and many other cooking ingredients. Make certain you wash them thoroughly after each use, especially if used to cut raw meat. I put mine in the dishwasher to kill bacteria.
© 2018 Thelma Raker Coffone
Margie's Southern Kitchen from the USA on March 20, 2018:
I love easy and delicious! Think I will have them tonight! Thanks for planning dinner for me!