Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup
Ahhhh, the simplicity of the slow cooker. Personally, one of my favorite things! Yesterday was one of those days: it was Thursday, I was ready for Friday, didn't want to get out of bed, and certainly didn't want to think about what I was going to make us for dinner. So I dragged myself out of bed and dug through the pantry and fridge before running off to work—and boom, chicken fajita soup was it! I rummaged around the fridge and freezer and found a few things that I had on-hand, like a bell pepper, jalapeno, onion, garlic, and some chicken stock, and then found some fajita seasoning in the pantry and thought, "Well, this could work!" Simple, healthy, filing, and warm (so necessary since it was 15 degrees outside yesterday). So I decided to run with it, and so glad I did because it turned out wonderful!
Now, if you have read any of my other recipes, you know that I love versatility and am not very big on just staying in the lines, so add more ingredients if you like! In fact, I ended up throwing in some southwest corn, black beans, a little heavy cream, cheddar cheese, and cilantro that I had in the fridge that I needed to get rid of. I also garnished with a little sour cream, green onion, and hot sauce! But by all means, make it your own!
- 1 big or 2 small Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Frozen
- 1 Bell Pepper (whatever color), chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, chopped (if you want less heat remove ribs and seeds)
- 1 Packet Fajita seasoning
- 32 oz Chicken Stock
- Place frozen chicken in the crock pot along with all the chopped veggies, in this case bell pepper, onion, garlic, jalapeno. Add the chicken stock. Set to low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. *If you plan on adding cilantro I would add about 5 mins before serving. If you add in the beginning the flavor will cook out!
- When the chicken breast is fully cooked, shred and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
You can make a double batch and freeze the leftovers in a freezer-safe bag or tupperware for up to a month. Perfect for the days you want an easy dinner!
347 per serving (about 2 cups)