Easy Slow-Cooker Steak Pie Recipe
This recipe was developed due to a necessity for tasty food and little time. As the beef simmers away in the slow cooker, it can cook while I am working, and all I have to do is make the puff pastry plus any sides when I come in from work! Pure genius!
As the meat is tenderised while it cooks slowly, you can use slightly more cost-efficient cuts of meat, but I would always say to use the best that you can afford. I also believe in a very meaty pie, so i probably have overdone the filling, but you can certainly reduce this if you desire.
Which pies do you prefer?
- 800g Diced Beef
- 1/2 Can Beer
- 6 tbsp Gravy Granules
- 1 Large Diced Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Sweetcorn, (Optional)
- 1/2 Cup Peas, (Optional)
- Fry the garlic and onion along with the beef in a pan along with a little oil to seal the beef.
- While frying, prepare the gravy granules per instructions (use less water for a thicker gravy as the beer will further dilute).
- When the beef is sealed, pour in the beer, then the gravy, and mix together. Add the vegetables, if applicable.
- Transfer mixture to the slow cooker. Cook on high for 6-7 hours. Check appliance instructions for best setting.
- About half an hour before the beef is completely ready (still a tiny bit of toughness to it), bring the puff pastry out to room temperature to rest.
- When beef is tender, put slow cooker on low setting and prepare the puff pastry. I like to cut mine using a cookie cutter for individual portions, but you can cook the whole sheet if you prefer. I use puff from a packet, but feel free to try fresh!
- Once the pastry is ready, serve your beef stew, then pop a pastry top on it. Simple, home made and tasty!
© 2014 Lynsey Hart