I lived in the Philippines until I was 23; then I moved to the UK. I learned to cook at a very early age, and cooking has become a passion.
Slow-Roasted Leg of Lamb
This simple method creates the most succulent leg of lamb. The meat is so moist and tender that it easily falls away from the bone with just a spoon.
The secret of this dish is simple: use low heat and allow plenty of time for the meat to cook slowly. The end result is truly amazing.
A great and easy roast
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
6 hours 10 min
Serves 6 people (7 ounces per person)
- 1 leg of lamb
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- Pinch of salt
- 50 ml olive oil
- Using a garlic press, crush the garlic cloves into a bowl. Add olive oil and rosemary sprigs.
- Take a small sharp knife and cut into the lamb joint to create pockets that allow you to insert your fingers along the joint on both sides.
- Place the joint in a roasting pan and pour the olive oil-garlic-rosemary mixture over it. Work the mixture into the slits you created with the knife. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the joint and then cover with foil. Place in the fridge for 12 hours.
- After the meat has marinated and you are ready to cook, take the joint out of the fridge and allow to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 230 degrees (Celsius). Place the roasting pan uncovered in the oven and cook for 30 minutes to allow the joint to brown.
- After 30 minutes, take the joint out of the oven and double wrap with foil. Return to the oven at just 160 degrees for 5 1/2 hours. (After 4 hours, turn the joint over and return to the oven, still covered in foil.)
- When you take the joint out of the oven, there is no need to rest the meat. You will find it to be very moist and so tender that the meat falls away from the bone with just a spoon. Serve with roast potatoes, veg and gravy and enjoy!
How to Cook the Best Slow Roasted Leg of Lamb
Susan from India on October 31, 2013:
I am feeling hungry now. Thanks for sharing this mouth watering recipe. Awesome and voted up.