Southern Slow Cooker: Chicken and Dumplings Crock Pot Recipe
When I was a kid, I loved chicken and dumplings. As an adult, I still love chicken and dumplings. I love them so much that the very first thing I made when I got my hands on a Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker for Christmas one year ago was, you guessed it, chicken and dumplings!
Since then, I have made it my mission to perfect the recipe to what fits my family, and I think I have a variation that suits us just fine.
Pair a bowl of dumplings with fresh corn on the cob, and you'll have yourself a filling meal that can take you back to childhood or warm you on a cold winter's day.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (10 ounce) pack refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces (I use country biscuit style)
- 1 onion, diced (small or half large - white or sweet
- 1 box chicken broth
- To taste (I use 1 tablespoon roughly) Pepper
- To taste Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- To taste garlic powder
- Prepare your chicken by seasoning them on a cutting board. Give a healthy coating of garlic powder on both sides, with a lighter 'to taste' coat of seasoning salt and pepper as you add more later.
- Dice the onion and cover the entire bottom of your slow cooker with it.
- Lay the seasoned chicken evenly across the top of your onion layer.
- Pour both cans of the cream of chicken soup, and the cream of mushroom soup over the chicken. Add butter.
- Pour broth until soups and chicken is covered (roughly 1/2-3/4 box).
- Add seasoning (this is where I add the heavier pepper and seasoning salt).
- Set slow cooker on high for 6 hours.
- 1 1/2 hours prior to serving tear up the biscuits into quarter size pieces and stir them in.
- Open and stir 1 hour prior to serving because the biscuits with bulk up and stick together and cook on the sides if you don't. Pour in 1-2 cups of water if liquid levels have dropped and if desired, season a little more with the Lawry's Seasoning Salt.
|Serving size: 1/8th recipe|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|