How to Make Chicken and Dumplings With Bisquick and Sour Cream
Chicken With Sour-Cream-and-Bisquick Dumplings
This is one of the foods I call "Southern comfort food." It's a nice hot dish to serve when the weather is cold.
I find that sometimes after I bake a nice, big, plump chicken, there will be some left over. This is a good way to use those leftovers. I have used chicken that has been boiled, but I personally like the flavor of baked chicken better. This recipe calls for sour cream, which is a little unusual but really adds to the texture and the flavor.
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) chicken gravy
- 1 cup water
- 2 ½ cups cooked and cubed chicken
- 1 small package of frozen English peas or mixed vegetables of your choice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2/3 cup milk
- Seasoning of your choice
Instructions for Broth
- In a large, heavy pot, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and stir well.
- Add the sour cream, broth, chicken gravy, and water. Stir well so there are no lumps!
- Cook until the mixture is bubbly and thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the chicken and the frozen peas.
- Simmer over low heat while you mix the dumplings.
Instructions for Dumplings
- Mix the Bisquick and milk together to form soft dough.
- Collect a large spoonful of the dough and drop it into the simmering broth mix. Simmer this for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes until the dumplings are plump and done.
© 2011 Mary Hyatt