Sweet and Spicy Korean Fried Chicken
Korean Spicy and Sweet Fried Chicken
I love trying new recipes. The other day I made Korean Spicy and Sweet Fried Chicken. It was crispy on the outside but juicy and tender on the inside.
The origin of this recipe began with an online search for a quick and easy dinner idea for my husband. I came across a video of a woman eating crunchy Korean fried chicken. It looked so delicious and mouth-watering. The chicken was coated with red sauce, and she was eating it with kimchi. I knew I had some chicken in the fridge. I thought I could serve it with a simple garden salad instead of kimchi.
An essential ingredient to this recipe is Gochujang, a sweet and spicy red chili pepper sauce, which you should be able to find in Asian specialty markets. Gochujang is a savory, sweet, and spicy condiment made from red hot chili peppers, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans, and salt. You also can use this sauce to make other authentic Korean dishes such as spicy chicken wings, bibimbap, kimchi, and much more.
I used rice vinegar to marinate the chicken before cooking. You can use cider vinegar if you don't have rice vinegar. The vinegar will bring a tangy flavor to the dish. Let's take a look at the full list of ingredients.
- 1/2 pound chicken parts (breast cut into the small pieces), dried with a paper towel
- 1 tablespoon ginger (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 10 tablespoons cornstarch or potato starch
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Gochujang
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (toasted in a pan without oil)
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, ginger, salt, pepper, and rice vinegar. Stir and mix everything together.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Dip one piece of the chicken at a time in the egg, turning it over so the egg coats both sides.
- Dredge the chicken piece through the cornstarch, turning it to get flour on both sides and shaking off any extra.
- Place coated chicken pieces into the pan gently, using tongs, to avoid splashing oil.
- Continue frying the chicken, flipping each piece every two minutes. Cook until the pieces turn golden brown.
- Heat another pan over a lower heat.
- Combine the Gochujang paste, honey, brown sugar, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Stir all together until it forms a thick paste.
- Throw in the fried chicken into the paste. Coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds and give a good stir to make sure the chicken is coated with the seeds.
- Enjoy the fried chicken with your favorite salad or kimchi.
Photo TutorialClick thumbnail to view full-size
© 2018 Liza