Dani Alicia is an actress, writer, and entrepreneur. She writes about topics that interest her.
This is a very simple recipe for meatloaf. Your meatloaf will be extremely tasty. You may have to make two pans because your guests or family will be asking for a second helping. Simply acquire the ingredients listed, follow the simple instructions, and you'll have a great meal for dinner!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 20 min
Serves six people a quarter pound of meatloaf
- Half green bell pepper, diced
- Half Onion, diced
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 Pack Sauer's meatloaf seasoning
- 2 egg
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- nonstick cooking spray or butter
- First, prepare the jiffy cornbread according to the instructions on the box. You will need the milk, sugar, an egg, and the nonstick cooking spray or the butter for this step. The instructions on the box don't include sugar, but add the sugar anyway. Mix all of the ingredients together. Don't forget to spray your nonstick pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes and let it cool.
- While your cornbread is baking, dice your onions and green bell peppers and put them in a large bowl. You can dice them small or large depending on your personal preference. I prefer to dice mine small.
- Once the cornbread has cooled, crumble up about a third of the pan of cornbread and put it in the bowl with the onions and bell pepper. Add the ground beef, the meatloaf seasoning, and the remaining egg. Mix everything together very well using your hands. This will be a bit messy, so you may want to turn on your sink faucet before mixing so that you can wash your hands without touching anything.
- Place your mixture into the meatloaf pan. Spread it in the pan evenly and bake for 35 to 40 minutes at about 375 degrees or until the middle of the meatloaf isn't pink anymore.
- After your meatloaf is done you're ready to serve it. If you didn't use a meatloaf pan with holes in it, take it out of the pan as there will be a lot of hot grease in the pan (careful!). Put it in a separate dish, slice into six slices , and serve with your favorite side dishes!
About the Ingredients
A lot of people like to make their cornbread and meatloaf seasoning from scratch. This is perfectly acceptable, but for me, I like to use Jiffy cornbread mix and Sauer's seasoning because it taste good and because it saves time. These items are also very inexpensive so they are great for anyone cooking on a budget.
You could serve the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy. This is a common and classic side dish to serve with meatloaf, and my absolute favorite dish to serve with meatloaf. I use boxed mashed potato flakes and gravy mix because it's quick and it taste good, but some people like to make theirs from scratch. Adding a vegetable on the side is good and healthy. I like corn on the cob with my meatloaf. Other great veggies with meatloaf are broccoli, carrots, green beans, and cabbage. Some people like to top their meatloaf with ketchup, some with gravy, and some with honey teriyaki sauce. There are so many possibilities for dressing up your meatloaf. Experiment with a few different options until you find your favorite way to eat meatloaf!
You don't have to have the state of the art equipment to make this meatloaf. A regular oven will do, as well as regular pans. I do, however, recommend eventually investing in a meatloaf pan with holes in the bottom because the holes will allow all that grease to drip off of your meatloaf. This type of pan isn't required, but it will make your meatloaf healthier and a lot less messier. Another thing to remember is that not all ovens heat the same. Just because my oven will cook my meatloaf on 375 degrees doesn't mean that your oven will. It may need a higher or lower temperature. Use a thermometer to check the true temperature of your oven. Start off by using 375 degrees and once you've cooked meatloaf (or anything else in your oven) a few times, you'll know what temperature setting is best for your meatloaf. Remember that the hottest place in your oven is right in the middle of the rack, and closest to the heating element. The coldest place will be near the oven door.
Thelma Raker Coffone from Blue Ridge Mountains, USA on March 22, 2016:
The ingredients say the ground beef is unthawed. Shouldn't it be thawed first?