Three Delicious Chicken Recipes
When Fabio came round this week, I'd been making some chicken and pork pies. You'll get the recipe later, I promise. So sit down and join us in my kitchen in Yorkshire [pronounced with a shh, not a shire].
He'd brought one of his soup ideas, well usually they are his mum's or grandma's recipes; he might be better looking than me, but he can't cook as good; even his wife Tanya says so.
I'll give him his due: he does admit I make a better curry.
So this is what we made.
Make a Marinade
- Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup of Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Chop the chicken up into small cubes and then put them into the marinade as described above.
- Leave whilst you do the rest of the meal, but overnight would be better.
Aromatic and Delicious Fresh Herbs
- 2 lean chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of long grain rice
- 1 egg, rice or corn flour and corn meal for dusting
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp of coriander
- 1 tsp of cumin
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup of frozen garden peas
- 1/2 cup of sweet corn
- 1 tablespoon of Ghee or butter
Prepare Your Rice
- Finely chop the onion and garlic, and then put aside.
- Wash the rice and then place it in a saucepan of boiling water and cook until near soft.
- Add the a little turmeric powder and half the onions to the rice as it cooks.
Dredge the Chicken
- Beat an egg in a bowl.
- Prepare a bowl of seasoned flour.
- Prepare a bowl of cornmeal.
- Wipe off any excess marinade and dredge the chicken into the egg, and then into the flour, back into the egg, and finally into the cornmeal make sure it has a good coating.
Prepare the Final Spice Sauce
Slowly you will see the oil separating out from your mix. Take time to enjoy the aromas; you will so much more enjoy the meal by enjoying the smells as well as the tastes.
Now make the sauce using a tin of chopped tomatoes or a cup and a half of water.
I always add a little of the rice water, it is rich in starch, which will help thicken your sauce.
I begin all of my curries with this pre-cooking of the spices.
Instructions for Preparing Your Curry Sauce
- Add ghee or oil to another pan.
- Sprinkle in the fenugreek seeds.
- Once they begin to pop with the heat.
- Add your shallots and garlics.
- Gently fry until they are transparent.
- Gently toast the mixed powders in a warm pan; you will know as soon as the aroma hits you that they are ready.
- Add the ghee and mix it into a paste and then put it back on the low heat.
Delicious Spice Mix
Chicken in Lemon and Coriander
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 1 large onion very finely chopped
- 2/3 cloves of garlic chopped; ¼” of ginger chopped
- 2 dessert spoons of coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 lemons; 1 orange to juice
- Pinch of salt
- A sprinkle of sultanas
- 2 lean skinned chicken breasts
Cooking Your Chicken
- In a wok or frying pan heat a mixture of ghee and olive oil.
- When it is just smoking, add the chicken.
- Cook until golden brown and crispy.
- Put it aside to keep warm.
- In the frying pan add the rest of the onions and fry,
- When they are soft, add the curry sauce.
- Serve the chicken on a bed of the rice and garnish with salad.
Quicker and healthier than a take away.
Directions For Cooking
- Use a heavy pan and heat the oil.
- Then fry the onions until deep brown. Important point here to get the best from onions they need to be golden brown before you use them.
- Add the ginger, sultanas, garlic, and fry another minute.
- Put aside in a bowl.
- Put the frying pan back on the heat and add the various powders to the still oiled pan.
- Fry for another minute.
- Now add the onion mix.
- Mix well and let cook for another 30 seconds then add the lemon and orange juice.
- Chop the chicken into strips and dip in a beaten egg.
- Heat some oil and fry the chicken until coloured and then add it to your onion mix.
- Cook for about twenty minutes.
- I like to add a small quantity of mixed garden peas and corn just to give it a little extra colour. You can serve this with rice or whatever you fancy.
Chicken with Mushrooms and Pineapple
Here’s a really nice tasty dish that we had last Sunday, and you can serve it with rice or egg noodles.
- Four chicken breasts
- Tin of pineapple chunks
- One large onion
- Cashew nuts about a tablespoonful
- Button mushrooms
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- About an inch of ginger chopped finely
- Teaspoon coriander powder
- Tablespoon White wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Splash of soy sauce
- Chop half the onion and all the garlic quite finely.
- Rough chop the other half of the onion.
- Fine chop your ginger and dry heat them in a pre-warmed wok or frying pan.
- When they are steaming a little put them into a bowl.
- Put the paprika and coriander powder into the wok again dry, let them toast just a minute now add the cashew nuts. Be very careful not to burn them.
- Drop your onion mix back in still keeping the heat low.
- Drizzle in some olive oil, or peanut oil and give it all a good mix.
- Turn up the heat and fry gently. About ten minutes.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips, and dust in either rice flour and corn flour or just corn flour will do.
- Remove the onion mix again and put some more oil into the wok, let it get very hot then carefully put the chicken into fry.
- When the chicken has browned all over, add the mushrooms whole, the soy sauce and vinegar.
- Now add the onion mix back in and let the whole lot cook about ten minutes.
- Add juice from the pineapples and then the fruit chunks.
- Let it stand a few minutes before serving.
- Serve on a bed of rice or noodles, garnish with fresh mint or coriander leaves.
A very nice side dish for all curries is cucumber raita.
The yogurt takes the sting out of spicy food and cools your mouth, mixed with the cucumber it is also refreshing. Or you can make it like this.
- Chop half a cucumber and squeeze out as much juice as you can.
- Add together sugar about 1 teaspoon and fresh mint leaves, or bottled if you prefer.
- One coffee mug of yogurt (Greek styles are okay) and mix with the other ingredients.
- Finely chop some tomatoes and mix it all together for a delicious addition to your meal.