Spicy Venison and Shrimp Pasta in Cream Sauce Recipe
My mother was a Southern woman, and nothing screamed the South like a big plate of comfort food. We had many meals at our dinner table that were what mom called "stick-to-your-ribs meals." Most meals consisted of mashed potatoes and some kind of pork, but once a week it was pasta night—and it was always spaghetti.
I still love a big plate of spaghetti, but with the endless choices of pasta that lines an entire aisle at the grocery store, it is easy to try new dishes. The following recipe is a hearty dish made with ground venison that is cooked with Italian seasoning to create an Italian sausage taste without actually using venison sausage. If you want your veggies in there, you can add broccoli or asparagus when you add the mushrooms.
So save your sausage for a special occasion, and enjoy this hearty meal of wild game and seafood.
- 1 box bow tie pasta or your favorite pasta
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 pound large shrimp cleaned, peeled and de-veined
- 1 whole yellow onion chopped
- 1 pint fresh mushrooms sliced or 3-10 oz canned mushrooms
- 1 pint half and half
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- Bring 4 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon of salt to a rapid boil and add pasta. Cook per pasta directions.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large skillet over medium heat, add vegetable oil and onion. Cook onion until it is translucent.
- Add ground venison and Italian seasoning. Cook venison until it is browned.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
- While mushrooms cook, add flour to warm water and mix until all lumps are dissolved.
- Pour half and half into the skillet.
- Stir in Cajun seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Note: Be sure to taste at this point. If you like it spicier, add more Cajun seasoning.
- Increase heat to medium high and slowly bring to a boil stirring continuously.
- As mixture boils add half of the water/flour mixture stirring thoroughly. Mixture will thicken rapidly. Continue to add water/flour mixture.
- Stir in shrimp and let mixture continue to boil for 1 minute stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- Drain pasta and add to venison shrimp mixture, stirring until pasta is coated.