Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe
This recipe makes me think of the fall and cooler weather. It's perfect to make when you're going to be home all day and can enjoy the scent as you cook this meal. The entire house will smell like the spices and buttery chicken as it cooks!
One trick that I learned from a friend years ago is to roast the chicken for the first 15 minutes at a higher temperature before turning down the temperature for the remainder of the cooking time. Doing this will produce that crispy, delicious golden-brown skin alongside juicy pieces of breast or thigh meat.
Another trick is to place the spiced butter under the skin of the breast meat. As the chicken cooks, the butter will melt—keeping the meat super juicy and flavorful. The spiced butter makes it easy to get all of those awesome spices under the skin and really infuse the chicken.
This dish looks so pretty when it's finished that your friends, family, and dinner guests will think you worked way harder than you actually did. It's up to you whether to tell them just how easy it was to make!
Roast Chicken Ready for Dinner!
- 1 whole chicken (about 6 lbs)
- 1 apple, quartered
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 4 tablespoons butter, sliced into 1 tablespoon pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Remove chicken from packaging and set on a cutting board or inside of a roasting pan. Ensure the chicken does not have gizzards or a bag of chicken pieces inside of the cavity.
- Starting at the neck end of the chicken, run a spoon along under the skin of the chicken breast to separate the skin from the breast, creating a pocket that you will fill with butter and spices.
- Mix all of the spices in a small bowl. Add the pieces of butter, one by one, into the spice mix to coat. Set aside remaining spices.
- Take the coated pieces of butter and place them under the skin of the chicken. Using your fingers, gently push the butter further under the skin.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the quartered piece of onion and apple.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with olive oil. Use the remaining spices to coat the skin.
- Place garlic cloves and any remaining onion pieces in the pan to roast with the chicken.
- Roast chicken for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Then roast the chicken at 350 degrees for the remainder of the cooking time. Roast for 20 minutes per pound to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Have You Ever Roasted a Whole Chicken Before?
|Serving size: 4|
|Calories from Fat||261|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 29 g||45%|
|Saturated fat 11 g||55%|
|Carbohydrates 13 g||4%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 22 g||44%|
|Cholesterol 96 mg||32%|
|Sodium 426 mg||18%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Lisa Bean