5 Recipes for Using Venison or Deer Meat
Ideas for Cooking Venison
Venison is a very lean meat and delicious when prepared properly. Here are my best ideas for deer meat recipes that will make your deer season harvest turn into meals for your whole family to love!
Recipes for Using Venison or Deer Meat
1) Venison Jerky
2) Venison Salami
3) Venison Chili
4) Venison Stew
5) Venison Sausage Links or Patty
Perfect Venison Jerky Recipe
Venison Jerky Is the Best
I love venison jerky. If you do not have venison, use beef or any kind of meat you like, it will be good however you make it.
My son used to make the venison jerky for me when he was still alive and it was so good. I really miss his dried sausage and jerky, but I miss him most of all.
Ingredients for Jerky
- Beef or venison
- Black pepper, fresh coarse ground
- Liquid smoke
Instructions for Jerky
- Trim off all fat and cut the meat along the grain into 6-inch strips about ½-inch thick. Do not cut across the grain.
- Season the strips with salt, black pepper, and liquid smoke.
- Place on dehydrator racks, set to 155 degrees Fahrenheit for about 6-12 hours.
- Check it every now and then to make sure it does not get too dry.
- It should be dry but flexible enough to bend and not break, some folks like to dry it longer, it keeps better and is harder to chew.
I like to store in freezer bags and freeze until ready to eat, you can just take a piece out at a time.
Tips From Margie Lynn
- Common seasoning: garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, molasses, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes.
- Just use your imagination!
- You can also dry in your oven.
A Great Homemade Venison Salami Recipe
Salami is usually made around hunting season at our house using venison, but you can also use beef or pork or any other meat you like. To make homemade salami, you need ground beef, pork, venison, or whatever you like. Salami is great served as an appetizer with cheese and crackers or used as a lunch meat for a sandwich. This stuff is so good that you'll need to make some soon! It freezes well!
Ingredients for Salami
- 4 pounds ground lean meat, venison, beef, pork or meat of your choice
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1/4 cup Morton's Tender Quick
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Instructions for Making Salami
- Put meat in large bowl or pan and sprinkle with liquid smoke.
- Add to meat mixture; garlic powder, whole peppercorns, black pepper, Morton’s Tender Quick, white sugar, and brown sugar. Mix ingredients well.
- Divide meat into 3 or 4 parts. Roll the mixture into a 2-inch diameter log.
- Wrap each log tightly in aluminum foil. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make several slits in foil on the bottom of the roll to allow the fat to drain.
- Place salami rolls on a broiler pan.
- Fill the bottom part of the broiler pan with about 1 inch of water to keep the salami moist.
- Bake 4 hours.
- Blot salami rolls with paper towels.
- Cool completely before unrolling.
- Slice and serve as lunch meat or as an appetizer with cheese and crackers.
- Freezes well for later use, store in freezer paper or bags.
- For spicy salami add 2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Be sure to refrigerate meat for 24 hours, no less before serving.
The Best Venison Chili Recipe
This venison chili recipe was given to me by my sister-in-law, Helen, who is a wonderful cook. She always has delicious recipes that she prepares and this is one of them.
You will need ground venison, onion, tomato paste. Diced tomatoes & green chilies and spices. I have found that tomatoes & green chilies taste good in just about anything, except desserts!
This is easy to make and freezes well. Serve with cornbread, fresh-baked homemade bread, corn chips, or crackers topped with chopped onion, cheddar cheese, or whatever you like.
Ingredients for Venison Chili
- 2 pounds ground venison
- 1/3 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 ½ tablespoon paprika
- 1/3 tablespoon garlic powder or 1 clove, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 4-5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1-6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1-10 ounce can tomatoes and green chilies
Instructions for Venison Chili
- In a large pot, brown ground venison in its own juice.
- Add garlic powder or clove, cumin seed, salt and pepper to taste, chili powder, onion, paprika, tomato paste, and tomatoes, and green chilies.
- Add enough water to make gravy. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until meat is tender.
Tips From Margie Lynn
- Do not use tomato sauce in place of the tomato paste.
- The chili freezes well.
- You make increase portions to make the number of servings you need.
Video Making Venison Jalapeño Cheddar Burger
Tasty Venison Stew Recipe
You will love this venison stew chocked full of venison, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and seasonings. Serve with a large piece of home bread or a square of cornbread. This recipe may also be made in the crock-pot.
Ingredients for Venison Stew
- 2 pounds venison cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cold water
Instructions for Venison Stew
- In a heavy Dutch oven, brown venison cubes in hot bacon drippings.
- Add water to cover, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, paprika, and onion.
- Cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Prepare potatoes, carrots, and celery.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and celery.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until vegetables is tender. Taste and add more seasonings if desired.
- In a small bowl dissolve flour in ¼ cup of cold water.
- Stir flour mixture into stew.
- Cook the stew about 5 minutes and serve hot.
This recipe makes 8 servings.
Tips From Margie Lynn
- If you do not have bacon drippings, you may use oil.
- A chopped green pepper may be added if you desire.
Homemade Venison Sausage Links or Patty Recipe
Ingredients for Venison Sausage
- 25 pounds venison
- 25 pounds pork
- 1 ¼ pound salt
- 3 ounces black pepper
Instructions for Venison Sausage
- Grind meat.
- Add salt and pepper
- Use as fresh patties or stuffed into casings.
- Wrap in freezer paper and store in freezer.
Tips From Margie Lynn
- For a drier sausage, add a little more venison.
Video Making Chicken Fried Venison Backstrap and Cream Gravy
Do you like Venison?
Have you eaten or cooked with venison?
More Great Recipes
- How to Deep-Fry a Delicious Turkey and Other Fun Foods
Looking for something different and delicious, deep fry a turkey! The result is a moist, juicy inside and crispy outside! While the oil is hot, fry some onion rings, fries, pickles, and candy bars!
- Homemade Hot Tamales Recipe
Making homemade hot tamales can be time-consuming, but worth every minute it takes. Make them spicy, mild, chicken, beef, pork or vegetarian! No limit to the flavors you can make. Call your friends and family for help and have a tamale making party!
© 2016 Margie's Southern Kitchen