Alyssa loves sharing her family's favorite recipes with the world. She is a wife and a mom who enjoys drinking copious amounts of coffee.
The Comfort Foods of My Childhood
One of my fondest childhood memories is being in the kitchen while my grandpa cooked. He knew how to make just about anything, and it was all delicious! By far, one of my favorite meals that he used to make was chipped beef over toast. I always looked forward to this dish and would go back for seconds.
Not much has changed now that I'm older. This remains one of my favorite wintertime meals, and I always go back for seconds. The only difference is in how it is served. My husband grew up enjoying this dish over mashed potatoes, and we've adopted that recipe as our own.
This is a fairly simple recipe that only uses a handful of ingredients. This is a hearty meal that the whole family will enjoy!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 4-5 people.
- Russet potatoes
- 4 packages beef, we like Budding Original.
- 4 cans unsweetened evaporated milk
- Butter, we like Country Crock Original.
- Wash and peel potatoes. Cut them up, put them in a pot filled with water, and boil over medium heat.
- Take the beef out of the packages. Cut it into squares.
- Break up the squares using your fingers.
- Melt 3-4 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. You want it to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Once the bottom of the pan is coated, add the beef squares.
- Allow the beef to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring gently.
- Use a sifter, or gently tap the side of a tablespoon, to sprinkle flour on top of the beef.
- Add cans of evaporated milk. Stir.
- Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring the beef, until the milk thickens into a gravy.
- Once the potatoes have softened, drain all the water.
- Mash the potatoes, adding milk and butter to taste.
- Place one or two spoonfuls of mashed potatoes into a bowl. Top with chipped beef.
This dish pairs well with a hot cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk.
A delicious variation is to serve the chipped beef over toast and enjoy the mashed potatoes as a side dish.
Rate This Recipe!
© 2017 Alyssa