How to Make Lasagna
My Mom's Lasagna Recipe
My mom doesn't make things from scratch. She uses store-bought items, prepares them, and puts them together to make meals. The best thing that she makes is her lasagna. This was the one recipe that I made sure I got from her when I moved out.
Now my mom is a "pinch of this, a few shakes of that, and then taste it" kind of cook. I am not. So to get the recipe, I actually had her count the number of shakes per spice while she was making it. That way I would be able to get the recipe to taste the same every time that I made it. That is the recipe you will see posted below.
It will make between 12- 18 servings (depending on the serving size of piece). It can be cooked in anywhere from 2 to 7 separate dishes. In doing so, you can make serving sizes that fit your situation. Use larger dishes for families and smaller dishes for singles or couples.
Ingredients You Will Need
- 1 Cooking Onion, Finely chopped
- 2000 grams (4.5lbs) Ground Beef, (more if you like it really meaty)
- 13fl oz/ 369ml tin Hunt's Tomato Paste
- 2 x 750ml bottles Original recipe with Mushrooms Ragu spaghetti sauce
- 2 packages Lasagne noodles, (only need 1 package if using loaf size dish)
- 620g (1.5lbs) Kraft Mozzarella cheese block, or same amount shredded cheese package
- 1250g (2.5lbs) Nordica 2% cottage cheese
- 5 shakes Salt
- 10 shakes Pepper
- 9 shakes Garlic Powder
- 25 light shakes Italian seasonings
- 5 shakes Basil Leaves
- 7 shakes Oregano Leaves
How to Make Lasagna, Just Like My Mom's
- In a frying pan brown (375 degrees) approximately half of the ground beef.
- Remove the excess grease from the frying pan. Then put the ground beef into a large pot.
3. Chop 1 cooking onion into small pieces.
4. Brown the remaining half of the ground beef and the cooking onion.
5 .Remove the excess grease from the frying pan. Then put the ground beef and onion into the large pot.
6. Add 1 can of Hunts tomato paste to the pot.
7. Now add the 2 jars of Ragu spaghetti sauce and stir it in. Put the burner on Medium and add the spices to the pot.
8. Add 9 shakes of garlic powder
9. Add 10 shakes of pepper
10. Add 5 shakes of salt
11. Add 25 light shakes of Italian seasoning
12. Add 5 shakes of basil leaves
13. Add 7 shakes of oregano leaves.
14. Stir on medium for 10 minutes.
15. Then leave on Simmer for 30 minutes (stirring when needed).
16. Turn your oven on to preheat it to 350 degrees.
17. Fill a roast pan or a large pot with water and add a little salt. Put it on a burner on high.
18. When it is boiling put in your box of noodles. Cook for 15 -20 minutes.
19. If you didn't buy shredded, grate the mozzarella cheese.
20. When your noodles are done strain out the water and put the noodles in a pot of cold water.
Now you have all the ingredients to assemble the lasagna.
21. Put a little of your meat sauce in the bottom of your lasagna pan (very little this just to prevent the noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pan).
22. Add a layer of noodles.
23. Then add a layer of cottage cheese.
24. Then add a layer of meat.
25. Then a layer of noodles.
26. Then add a layer of meat.
27. Then top off with mozzarella cheese.
28. Cover the dish with tin foil.
29. Put the dish on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. You could put the dishes directly into the oven. I prefer to put the dishes on cookie sheets. That way if any spills over from the dish it will land on the cookie sheet, not the bottom of my oven.
This will make approximately 6 loaf pan size servings or 2 (maybe 3) 8 inch square dish servings, so when it is done cooking you can put the extra ones that you are not going to eat now into the freezer. When you take these out of the freezer (if you don't thaw them) put the oven to 350 degrees and cook for at least 1 hour.
Put it on a plate and enjoy!
Do You Like More Than One Type Of Cheese in Your Lasagne?
This is the dish that my Mom uses when she makes it. It is perfect when you are cooking for 4 to 6 people. You will get about 4 of these with the recipe provided.
My Mom loves this dish as she uses it for making lasagna and baking brownies. She has a dishwasher so she doesn't have to worry about scrubbing it clean. It allows her to use one dish for baking (oven safe), then freezing it (freezer safe), and cleaning it (dishwasher safe).
Dish Size Options
I prefer using these disposable aluminum pans since I can't have a dishwasher in my apartment. I find these are the perfect size when you are cooking for only 1 or 2 people. You will get 2 servings out of a pan if you are only eating the lasagna. You could get 3 servings if you are eating salad and/or garlic bread with it. You will get about 6 or 7 pans of lasagna with the recipe provided.
This is the size that I make for myself. That way I can make the lasagna all at once, eat one right away, and then I freeze the rest of them. I can then pull them out later one at a time to get a couple of meals out of it. I can have one serving for supper and take the second piece to work for lunch the next day.
If I want to have some people over I can pull out two of them and feed 4 or 5 people.