In my spare time, I enjoy playing video games, reading, cooking, baking, and taking photos while I am bird watching.
My Mom's Lasagna Recipe
My mom doesn't make things from scratch. She uses store-bought items, prepares them, and puts them together to make meals. The best thing that she makes is her lasagna. This was the one recipe that I made sure I got from her when I moved out.
Now my mom is a "pinch of this, a few shakes of that, and then taste it" kind of cook. I am not. So to get the recipe, I actually had her count the number of shakes per spice while she was making it. That way I would be able to get the recipe to taste the same every time that I made it. That is the recipe you will see posted below.
It will make between 12-18 servings (depending on the serving size of the piece). It can be cooked in anywhere from two to seven separate dishes. In doing so, you can make serving sizes that fit your situation. Use larger dishes for families and smaller dishes for singles or couples.
Ingredients You Will Need
- 1 cooking onion, finely chopped
- 2000 grams (4.5lbs) ground beef, (more if you like it really meaty)
- 13fl oz/ 369ml tin Hunt's tomato paste
- 2 x 750ml bottles Original recipe with Mushrooms Ragu spaghetti sauce
- 2 packages lasagne noodles, (only need 1 package if using loaf size dish)
- 620g (1.5lbs) Kraft mozzarella cheese block, or same amount shredded cheese package
- 1250g (2.5lbs) Nordica 2% cottage cheese
- 5 shakes salt
- 10 shakes oepper
- 9 shakes garlic powder
- 25 light shakes Italian seasonings
- 5 shakes basil Leaves
- 7 shakes oregano leaves
How to Make Lasagna, Just Like My Mom's
- In a frying pan, brown (375 degrees) approximately half of the ground beef.
- Remove the excess grease from the frying pan. Then put the ground beef into a large pot.
3. Chop 1 cooking onion into small pieces.
4. Brown the remaining half of the ground beef and the cooking onion.
5. Remove the excess grease from the frying pan. Then put the ground beef and onion into the large pot.
6. Add 1 can of Hunts tomato paste to the pot.
7. Now add the 2 jars of Ragu spaghetti sauce and stir it in. Put the burner on medium and add the spices to the pot.
8. Add 9 shakes of garlic powder
9. Add 10 shakes of pepper
10. Add 5 shakes of salt
11. Add 25 light shakes of Italian seasoning
12. Add 5 shakes of basil leaves
13. Add 7 shakes of oregano leaves.
14. Stir on medium for 10 minutes.
15. Then leave on simmer for 30 minutes (stirring when needed).
16. Turn your oven on to preheat it to 350 degrees.
17. Fill a roast pan or a large pot with water and add a little salt. Put it on a burner on high.
18. When it is boiling, put in your box of noodles. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
19. If you didn't buy shredded, grate the mozzarella cheese.
20. When your noodles are done strain out the water and put the noodles in a pot of cold water.
Now you have all the ingredients to assemble the lasagna.
21. Put a little of your meat sauce in the bottom of your lasagna pan (very little, this is just to prevent the noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pan).
22. Add a layer of noodles.
23. Then add a layer of cottage cheese.
24. Then add a layer of meat.
25. Then a layer of noodles.
26. Then add a layer of meat.
27. Then top off with mozzarella cheese.
28. Cover the dish with tin foil.
29. Put the dish on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. You could put the dishes directly into the oven. I prefer to put the dishes on cookie sheets. That way, if any spills over from the dish, it will land on the cookie sheet, not the bottom of my oven.
This will make approximately 6 loaf pan-sized servings or 2 (maybe 3) 8-inch square dish servings, so when it is done cooking you can put the extra ones that you are not going to eat now into the freezer. When you take these out of the freezer (if you don't thaw them) put the oven to 350 degrees and cook for at least 1 hour.