How Do You Make Mince Ground Beef Stew
Irish Mince Stew Recipe
This recipe shows you how to make a stew with ground beef and vegetables.
Minced beef is a cheap meat so this meal is also economical.
Ground Beef Stew
Preparation and cooking time
- Packet mince steak, ground beef
- 2 large onions
- 3 large carrots
- Small amount of cabbage
- 3 medium potatoes
- Tin or tube of tomato puree
- Small amount of oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of gravy powder
Step One: Prepare the Vegetables First
- Cut the head and end of the onions and peel off the skin.
- Run under the cold water of the tap. This prevent the odours making you cry.
- Slice the onions into small pieces.
- Cut off the top and end of the carrots and peel the outer skin.
- Chop up three carrots into either long strips or small round pieces.
- Grate the remainder of the carrots.
- Cut up the cabbage into very small pieces.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small chunks.
- Add a little oil to a large pot and heat.
- Throw in the onions and heat until brown. Make sure you stir often.
- When the onions are ready then add the mince steak or ground beef and stir in well. Do not overcook. The meat should only be allowed to go brown. This seals in the flavour.
- Add a large amount of tomato puree. This depends on your own taste but I always add half a tube.
- Pour in water that is boiled and stir.
- Add the carrots both grated and the other pieces.
- Also add the chunks of potatoes.
- Add more water if necessary. The water should cover all the ingredients. Bring to the boil and then simmer on a very low heat.
- The stew will be cooked through in about an hour and ten minutes.
Step Two: How to Make the Gravy
- Take a jug and add about a half cup of cold water. Add approximately 2 tablespoons of gravy powder, and mix in very well.
- Turn the heat up on the pot with the stew and slowly pour in the gravy powder. Make sure you stir constantly until all the liquid has been added to the stew.
- If you think the stew is too thin add more gravy powder. Wait until the stew comes back up to the boil and then simmer for a further ten minutes
- Turn of the heat and dish up the mince steak and vegetable stew!
How to Freeze Any Leftovers
- Once the stew is cold enough, you can put it into small one person portions in a dish.
- Cover each dish with either a freezer bag of cling film and put in your freezer.
- When you want to eat stew again, just take out whatever portions you require and leave to defrost for a few hours.
- Reheat when you are ready for dinner either in the microwave or in a pot.
If you have a large family, it would make more sense to put the stew in a bigger dish and freeze.
I only have one more person in the house, so it is better for me to freeze them in smaller portions.
I usually add frozen garden peas or home made mushy peas to the stew too. My mother grows her own peas so, she adds them straight from the garden.
You can use other vegetables too and experiment with the different flavours.
The mushy peas are made in bulk and frozen, so when cooking a stew I take a bag out in the morning to defrost them.
I add either peas once the gravy is mixed in and the stew is simmered for the last ten minutes.
How to make beef stew
Ground Beef Casserole
I also cook this without potatoes so it can be used as part of other meals
It can be made in bulk and portions can then be put in the freezer. Add the mince stew to spaghetti, pasta, mashed potatoes or chips.
Meals Made with Mince
My mother made delicious mince stew for us when we were kids.
This meal is still a favourite of mine and can also be made in bulk and put in the freezer. Therefore I make enough for a few meals in a large pot and freeze the main part of it.
I add most of the carrots to the pot grated because large pieces of carrots do not freeze very well; they are always a little bit too soggy when reheated.
The other carrots are dished up for that night’s meal so are just right in texture and taste.
The potatoes also do not freeze that well either. So I add enough potatoes to the pot that I want to use for dinner. This also gives the stew flavour.
When I take out a portion of frozen ground beef stew for dinner I cook fresh potatoes in a pot on their own and add them to the stew a couple of minutes before I dish up.