How to Make Chicken Casserole With Stove Top Stuffing
Sometimes good old Stove Top stuffing just hits the spot, and I think you'll find that this quick and easy chicken dinner recipe does just that. With the combination of baked chicken, stuffing, Swiss or cheddar cheese, and cream soup, it's a real comfort food chicken casserole. It will have you saying, "Winner, winner, chicken dinner!" So quick and easy to make, it's perfect for any weeknight dinner, too.
In this article, you'll find tips on the ingredients you need for the recipe, the recipe itself, a step-by-step photo guide for preparing this dinner, fun facts, a poll, and more, so keep on reading....
We have chicken for dinner several times a week, and I'm always on the lookout for an easy recipe and different ways to make chicken to add to my repetoire. This simple recipe certainly fits the bill. It’s prepared, baked, and served all in the same dish, so that scores big points for convenience and easy cleanup.
Another reason I like this particular casserole is because it's just as easy to make for a family dinner as it is to make for a crowd for a party. For a party, you would just double or triple the recipe. And to make party cleanup even faster, bake the chicken dinner casserole in disposable aluminum pans.
This simple recipe calls for only four ingredients, and best of all, they are ingredients you can keep on hand all the time. To make this recipe, you'll need boxed stuffing mix, canned cream soup, cheese, and boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
I always keep extra Stove Top stuffing mix and canned creamed soup on hand to make this recipe at a moment's notice. It's a quick, go-to chicken dinner when you just don't feel like thinking about what to make for dinner tonight. I also keep plenty of frozen chicken breasts in the freezer. I can whip this together and have it ready to go into the oven in about 10 minutes.
After you make this chicken dinner casserole a few times, it'll become as quick and easy for you to make, too! I bake it in a Pyrex dish, about 13 x 9 size. The four recipe ingredients you'll need for this recipe are:
- Boneless chicken breasts
- Cream of broccoli soup
- Sliced Swiss cheese
- Stove Top stuffing mix
Ingredient 1: Boneless Chicken Breasts
You can use fresh or frozen chicken breasts. If you use frozen, you will have to cook the casserole for a longer period of time. You can buy frozen chicken breasts in the frozen food section at Walmart or Target in a 2.5-pound package that's perfect for this recipe.
Ingredient 2: Cream of Broccoli Soup
Actually, you can use any cream soup. At different times I've used cream of broccoli soup, cream of chicken soup, and cream of mushroom soup. If you use cream of broccoli soup, you might even want to add some cooked broccoli to your chicken dinner casserole before putting it in the oven. Sometimes I'll serve broccoli on the side when we have have this dish for dinner.
Ingredient 3: Sliced Swiss Cheese
I suggest using pre-packaged deli slices of Swiss cheese because they are convenient and have a long shelf time in the refrigerator. Kraft and Land O' Lakes are two companies that offer the deli packages in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. You can also use a block of cheese like Cracker Barrel Baby Swiss and grate it for your casserole, it just takes longer and makes more work for you.
Ingredient 4: Stove Top Stuffing Mix
Our family prefers the Stove Top Chicken flavored stuffing mix, but you can certainly use any of the Stove Top Stuffing Mix flavors for this recipe. Some of the other Stove Top flavors are cornbread, pork, turkey, and sage. Any of them would work well for this chicken dinner, it's a matter of personal preference.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 6 boneless chicken breasts, sliced into bite-sized servings
- 1 can Campbell's Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1 box Stove Top Stuffing Mix for Chicken
- Slices Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the Stove Top stuffing mix according to the directions on the package (very easy to do in the microwave!).
- Slice the chicken breasts into bite-sized slices and place in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Pour the soup over the chicken. Add a little water or milk to thin soup and make it easier to mix. Mix chicken and soup until well coated. Spread the chicken out evenly in dish.
- Layer the slices of Swiss cheese over chicken mixture.
- Top cheese with prepared Stove Top stuffing and spread evenly.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 40–45 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Step-by-Step Photo Guide
- Over 60 million boxes of Stove Top stuffing are sold for Thanksgiving in America.
- Perdue Chicken Company sells over $6 billion dollars of its products each year.
- According to the American Cancer Society, broccoli can potentially help prevent cancer. Broccoli is a member of the cabbage family and is considered a good source of nutrients. Broccoli is rich in vitamin C fiber and folate and a good source of phytochemicals that have anticancer properties.
© 2012 MomsTreasureChest