Mexican-Style Shredded Beef Taco
Shredded Beef Taco Recipe
Every time I make flank steak shredded beef tacos, my husband says, "This is good." Not very descriptive, but if there is a compliment, that's good. This was a favorite entree his mother would make for a big family meal.
The rice and beans were always included. Add shredded cheese, your favorite salsa, and browned tortillas for big flavors like those you'd find in any Mexican restaurant. For a family of two, there are plenty of leftovers.
Try Grandma Cuca's flank steak shredded beef tacos at home one evening. They are delicious.
Mexican Shredded Beef Tacos Ingredients List
- flank steak, the popular flat iron steak or flap steak
- oil for browning
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. chile powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- Any favorite mix of spices or Mexican Seasoning
Making the Shredded Beef
- Start with a flank steak. This one is half of the standard flank steak (it usually is packaged over 2 lbs.) Freeze the rest for another meal.
- Cut steak into 2 inch strips across the grain.
- Heat up a tablespoon of oil in a pan with a tight cover. Brown as much as you can without burning. Cover to get moisture leaching and lots of browning on the frying pan. Caramelizing the flank steak adds flavor.
Add Onion Etc.
- After browning, add about 1/2 cup water, sliced onions and garlic cloves to your liking. Stir it up to disperse the brown sauce by scraping loose the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. You may add your spices now.
- Cover tightly and turn down heat to simmer for 40 minutes. Do not let it dry out during this process. Add a little water if needed to keep the bottom of the pan slightly moist.
After Steak is Tender
- Test the beef after 40 minutes to see if it is tender to your liking. Simmer more if it is not.
- Now it is time to shred the strips using two forks on a cutting board.
- Return to pan and mix into the onion and garlic crushing the vegetables as you mix it.
- Add salt, pepper and other spices if needed.
- The spices could be something different each time for variety and new flavors.
The Whole Mexican StyleTaco Meal
Brown corn or medium flour tortillas and fill with beans, beef, rice, cheese, and salsa. Serve more beans and rice as side dishes.
- You can use large tortillas and make shredded beef burritos.
- If there are leftovers for the next day, roll the beef in corn tortillas and fry crisp in oil for taquitos and guacamole.
- Have a cerveza and twist of lime.
Quick and Easy
Making this meal is easy because there is no need for a cookbook or recipe. The routine is easy and everyone can eat when they want. Just heat the plate in the microwave when assembled.
Mexican Style Shredded Beef
© 2009 Sherry Venegas