Simple and Easy Homemade Meatloaf Recipe
Growing up, meatloaf was one of my favorite dishes, and my grandpa made the best meatloaf! I've tried many times as an adult to recreate his recipe, and it never turned out right. There was always something a little off about it. My husband feels the same way about his grandma's recipe. We've tried off and on for ten years or so to make meatloaf, and each time it has been a disaster. We attempted many recipes, some we found online, others were recommended from friends. Nothing worked. We settled on the fact that we would never be able to make it, resigning ourselves to having meatloaf at restaurants and from the frozen-food section of the grocery store.
A month or two ago, we were discussing what we would have for dinner. I had some ground beef in the refrigerator, but we were tired of the same old dishes. We both agreed that meatloaf sounded amazing. After all, it was a cold day, and we wanted something hearty. We dug out my secret family recipe book and found the recipe for meatloaf. Why not give it a try, we thought.
An hour and a half later, it was the moment of truth. We each took a little bite and were pleasantly surprised. It worked! It wasn't quite as good as we each remembered from our childhood—after all, no one can make those meals quite like our grandparents—but it was delicious!
The recipe was simple and easy, only required a few ingredients, and took little effort to put together. If you've had trouble in the past trying to get this dish just right, this is the recipe for you. It's foolproof! The best part, everyone will love it! We've made this twice since that first day, and there is never any left.
- 1-2 lbs. Ground Beef
- Saltine Crackers
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Place ground beef in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Open your package of crackers. Pour the crackers into a large freezer bag. Seal the bag tight, making sure all of the air is out of it.
- Squeeze the bag and begin crunching up the crackers. This is a great way to get the kids involved or let out any pent up anger from your day. haha!
- Once the crackers are crumbled, open the freezer bag and dump the crumbs into the mixing bowl with the ground beef.
- Crack open the eggs and add them into the mixing bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Using your hands is best to make sure that everything is mixed well.
- Place the mixture into your loaf pan.
- Squeeze ketchup on top in a nice even layer.
- Cook for 90 minutes.
- Cut a small slice to check the inside. It should be lightly brown. If it's still a little pink, cook in 5 minute increments until brown.
- Allow the meatloaf to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Steps 8 and 9
Serve meatloaf with a side of homemade mashed potatoes or french fries.
You can customize your meatloaf to your taste by adding chopped onion or green peppers. I think jalapeño peppers would be delicious, too!
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Alyssa