25 Delicious Pizza Topping Ideas
Start with the Crust
Pizza can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert depending on the toppings that you choose. Pizza crust is no more than a flat bread and toppings can be limitless. If you start with a good crust then adding almost any topping will make for a no fail or fuss meal. You can purchase ready made crust or pizza dough at the supermarket if you would like to save some preparation time. If you do not mind making the crust, give yourself plenty of preparation time and make extra that you can freeze for another time. Here is a simple and quick recipe for an easy pizza crust that only takes five minutes to rise.
- 1 package active dry yeast (.25 ounce)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup warm water (not boiling)
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour (wheat or white)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt and oil. Mix until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Turn dough ball out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a flat round. Move the crust to a slightly greased pizza pan or oven peel. Dust pan or peel with cornmeal or semolina before turning out dough. Spread with sauce of choice then add toppings and cheese. Bake the pizza in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden. Let pizza cool for 5 minutes before serving. Slice into pieces.
15 Savory Topping Combinations
Pizza can be a gourmet treat. It does not have to be just cheese and pepperoni. Once you have the crust ready to go try these 15 savory pizza topping combinations. The sauce to use first is listed, then the toppings and lastly, the cheese. Use jar sauce or make your own. Topping suggestions are for one medium sized pizza.
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce, 2 spicy Italian sausages (cooked and sliced), 1 cup caramelized onions, 1/2 cup ricotta cheese (use a spoon to plop mounds around pizza), sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- 3 tablespoons pesto, 3 sliced plum tomatoes, 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Spinach Florentine - drizzle olive oil over crust, add fresh baby spinach, crumbled cooked bacon, sliced cherry tomato halves, break a fresh egg in the middle, sprinkle Parmesean cheese over the top, cook until egg is over easy
- Cover pizza crust with red sauce, add chopped broccoli rabe, dollops of ricotta cheese, sliced red onion, sprinkle with grated Asiago cheese.
- Drizzle olive oil on crust, add chopped roasted pumpkin, thin sliced prosciutto, small dollops of goat cheese, chopped cauliflower, sprinkle with grated Manchego cheese.
- Cover crust with your favorite barbeque sauce, add shredded cheddar cheese, pulled pork. Bake and then add small amounts of coleslaw to pizza and serve.
- Spread pureed sweet potato over crust, top with small rounds of goat cheese, sprinkle roasted pine nuts over the top, add carmelized sliced onions, sprinkle with grated Grana Padano cheese, bake then top with baby mesculin greens when out of the oven and serve.
- Cook up some curried ground lamb, spread over crust, add chick peas and bake. When out of the oven top with some plain yogurt and freshly chopped mint.
- Spread pesto sauce over pizza, topped with chopped fresh shrimp, fresh shelled green peas, sprinkle with grated Pecorino Romano cheese, top with fresh basil leaves after baking and serve.
- Spread marinara sauce on pizza, top with marinated artichokes, thin sliced aged ham, feta cheese crumbles and sliced black and green olives.
- Fry some battered eggplant, cover pizza with tomato sauce, add eggplant, thin slices of roasted garlic, shredded mozzarella cheese, sprinkle with Parmesean cheese and bake to enjoy.
- Press pizza crust into a deep dish, add sliced cooked sausage, sliced cooked meatball, cooked crumbled bacon, cover with shredded mozzarella, Parmesean, Asiago and Pecorino Romano cheeses for a meat and cheese lovers delight.
- Spread your favorite salsa over crust, add cooked hamburg, black beans, sliced peppers and onions. Top with shredded Monterey Jack and Cotija cheeses. Bake. Add chopped lettuce and guacamole after baking to serve a taco pizza.
- Spread turkey stuffing over pizza, add gravy as a sauce, top with shredded turkey, diced sweet potato and dollops of mashed potato. Sprinkle lightly with Swiss cheese. Bake and serve.
- Spread Alfredo sauce over crust, top with thinly sliced roasted red potato, sliced thin white onion, fresh Rosemary and grated Manchego cheese.
Rainbow Fruit Dessert Pizza
10 Pizzas with a Sweet Tooth
While pizza as a savory dish is fantastic, sweet pizza toppings can be just as enjoyable. When thinking of sweet toppings, dessert isn't the only thing to come to mind. A pizza with figs and Parma ham will have a sweet and savory combination and for this list of 10 sweet pizza toppings some ideas may include a sweet and savory combination. Bon appetit!
- Smores; use a ready made graham cracker crust, fill with milk chocolate chips mixed with marshmallow fluff, bake until marshmallow browns, let cool and serve.
- Make a shortbread cookie crust, bake and let cool, spread with custard filling and top with sliced strawberries, kiwi and blueberries, Brush fruit with a light simple syrup, cut and serve.
- Using a shortbread crust, cover crust with caramel sauce, top with diced green apple, chopped nuts and a drizzle of remaining caramel sauce.
- Use ready made brownie mix as a crust, bake and let cool, top with cream cheese frosting, add sliced banana, chopped walnuts and cover each serving with a spoonful of whipped topping.
- Spread a shortcake crust that was baked and cooled with chocolate hazelnut spread, top with chopped strawberries, and slivered almonds.
- Make a brown sugar cookie crust, add sweetened condensed milk to cover crust, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut flakes, chopped walnuts, colored chocolate candies and bake until golden. Cool and drizzle with chocolate syrup and caramel sauce.
- Spread a baked pizza crust with softened and melted brie cheese, top with ripe raspberries, chopped fresh rosemary, drizzle with honey, cut and serve.
- Spread softened goat cheese over pizza, top with chopped pears and fresh halved cherries, and then lightly glaze withe heated apricot jam.
- Spread softened mascarpone cheese over baked pizza crust, add diced cantaloupe, chopped thinly sliced prosciutto ham and baby arugula.
- Spread lemon curd over a shortcake crust, top with fresh blueberries and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.