Favorite Family Hot Soup Recipes
1. French Onion Soup
Homemade French Onion Soup is absolutely delicious loaded with onions and beef broth and topped with toasted bread and Gruyere cheese. It is a great first course to any meal! It is very easy to make, and looks very impressive!
- 6 large red or white or yellow onions, 1 pound, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 6 slices baguette or French bread, toasted
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2-quarts beef broth or both beef and chicken
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
- Cook the sliced onions in melted butter until tender and slightly browned.
- Add the beef broth and heat to a boiling point; boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour the hot soup into oven proof soup bowls, float toasted bread on the soup and sprinkle generously with Gruyere cheese.
- Place the soup bowls on a cookie sheet and put under the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese. Serves 6.
2. Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This is an easy way to make Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup. You only need five ingredients and the you're well on your way to a delicious soup.
Add your favorite sandwich and you have a great meal. This makes 2 to 4 servings, so you may want to double it.
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets, frozen or fresh
- 3 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1-15-ounce can evaporated milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and black pepper as desired
- In a medium size saucepan add the stock, chopped onion, and broccoli.
- Bring this to a low boil; lower the heat to a simmer for about five minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Add the evaporated milk stirring in; cook for 3 more minutes or until it returns to a simmer.
- Then take off the heat and add the cheddar cheese; stirring until it melts.
- Add the salt and black pepper if you like.
3. Hot and Sour Soup
Asian Hot and Sour Soup is one of my favorite soups, I have made it many times. I usually make mine with pork, but you can use the meat of your choice. My husband and I like it spicy and this soup has a little kick to it. Serve with your favorite stir-fry recipe.
- 3-10 ½ ounce cans chicken broth
- ½ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-4 ounce boneless chicken breast, skinned, cut into thin strips
- ½ cup canned bamboo shoots strips
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (I use white vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced
- Combine the broth and mushrooms in a 2-quart saucepan; bring to boil.
- Add the chicken and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the bamboo shoots; simmer five minutes.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, cayenne pepper and black pepper, return to a boil.
- Slowly add the egg white into soup, stirring constantly. (The egg white forms lacy strand as it cooks.)
- Combine the cornstarch and cold water, add to the soup and bring to a boil for one minute stirring gently.
Yields one quart.
4. Ground Beef Veggie Soup
Ground Beef Veggie Soup is one of my grandkids' favorite soups.This recipe is not exact amounts, It's a dump recipe, feel free to adjust it to your taste. Great with hot rolls or cornbread. Hope you like as much as the kids do!
- 1 to 1 ¼ pounds ground beef
- 6 cups water or more
- 1-14 1/12-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons beef or chicken granules
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 large carrots, sliced or diced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- ½ cup or so, uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot place ground beef, I put salt, black pepper, and garlic power on it, onions and celery, cook on medium-high heat until the meat browns.
- Add the diced tomatoes, beef or chicken granules and about 6 cups of water.
- Cover, cook for 30 or 40 minutes on low heat.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and macaroni. If you prefer you may cook the macaroni and just add at the end.
- Cover, simmer until all the vegetable and macaroni are tender.
5. Savory and Spicy Potato Cheese Soup
This soup is great on a cold winter night, the combination of potatoes and cheese makes it a hearty soup. It comes together fast using canned potato soup with added ingredients to kick it up with homemade flavor.
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 3-10.5-ounce cans cream of potato soup
- ½ pound jalapeño cheese, grated
- ½ pound Longhorn cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- salt and black pepper to taste.
- Sauté butter, carrots, celery, and green onions on low heat.
- Add the broth, soup and cheeses.
- Heat all the ingredients, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat and add the sour cream, salt, and black pepper.
- This makes a lot.
6. Goulash Soup
This Beef Goulash Soup Recipe is like both a goulash and stew in one. It’s cooked long and slow, so would be great for the slow cooker. It makes a hearty meal served with Rye bread or another bread of your choice.
- 1 1/2 pounds steak; cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped.
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped.
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped.
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1-14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed.
- In a zip lock bag, add flour, salt, and pepper, mix.
- Add the cubed up beef and toss in the flour mixture.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and brown.
- Remove the browned beef to a plate, set aside.
- Reduce the heat; add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to a pot.
- Add the onions, garlic, red and green bell peppers; sauté until the vegetables are soft and transparent.
- Add the browned beef back into the pot along with the water, tomatoes, cayenne pepper, and cumin.
- Bring to a very slow boil and let simmer covered 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours, add the potatoes and cook another 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 4-5 servings
7. Hearty Tomato Basil Soup
Hearty Tomato Basil Soup is so delicious. I never liked tomato soup until I tried this recipe with whipping cream. Whipping cream can make anything taste better. Serve it with a crusty bread or a grilled sandwich.
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes or canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups unsalted tomato juice
- 12 to 14 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper not
- salt to taste
- Combine the tomatoes and juice in a large saucepan.
- Place over medium-low heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool slightly, place in a blender or food processor.
- Add the basil and cooked tomato mixture, do this in batches.
- Return the mixture to saucepan.
- Add whipping cream and butter.
- Stir the butter and cream over low heat until blended.
- Stir in the salt and black pepper.
Make 8 servings.
8. Watching Your Weight Cabbage Soup
Okay here is a recipe for all the weight watchers! I love this delicious soup, it’s loaded with cabbage, onions, carrots, green beans and zucchini. You can change around the vegetables if you like!
Dig around and find a soup pot and these ingredients!
- 3 cups non-fat beef broth, may use chicken or vegetable
- 2 garlic cloves, mince
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- ½ cup green beans
- ½ cup zucchini, chopped
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onions, carrot, and garlic in the soup pot that you have sprayed with non-stick cooking spray for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add; broth, tomato paste, cabbage, green beans, basil, oregano, salt and pepper to taste.
- Set the heat to simmer and cook the vegetables until tender for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cook another 5 minutes.
9. Cabbage, Ham, and Bean Soup
I love cabbage and ham together, this is a delicious and hearty soup. A big bowl with cornbread or a slice of homemade bread would be good during this cold weather. I use chunks of leftover ham to make this soup!
- ½ half medium cabbage, shredded
- 4 large carrots, sliced thick
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 5 medium ribs celery, sliced thick
- ½ pound extra lean deli ham sliced thick, cut into chunks
- 1-15.5 ounce can cannelloni beans
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- black pepper and salt to taste
- In a large pot; mix broth, water, carrots, onions, potatoes, and celery.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add ham, beans, cabbage, thyme, garlic and black pepper and salt.
- You may add any herbs you like to the soup.
- Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
Now enjoy this yummy soup!
10. Cheeseburger Soup
I love that in fall I can start looking for my favorite soup recipes. Cheeseburger Soup is a hearty and thick soup. You may cut or add ingredients to suit your taste.
If you like it spicy add some jalapeño peppers or pepper flakes. It is delicious served with a slice of homemade bread or a chunk of buttered cornbread.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3 1/2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 ounces diced American or Velveeta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- In a large skillet or pan, sauté the ground beef and chopped onion over a medium heat.
- Cook stirring the beef until it’s browned all over.
- Drain ground beef mixture and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add 2 tablespoons of butter; sauté the celery, carrots, parsley, and basil.
- After carrots are tender, add the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Add to mixture; potatoes and cooked beef and simmer gently for 10-12 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- In a small skillet melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter, stir in the flour and cook through until it combines.
- Add milk; whisk until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth.
- Add to the soup and bring to the boil again.
- Reduce the heat and mix in the cheese and seasonings.
- After the cheese has melted remove from the heat.
- Good served with a spoonful of sour cream added!
- For spicy soup; add cayenne pepper, pepper flakes or jalapeño peppers.