12 Successful Kid-Friendly Recipes
Mouth-Watering Caramel Apples
In the fall, apples are plentiful. Let the kids help, and make a batch of caramel apples for Halloween.
Good apples to use are Granny Smith, Fuji, Jonathan, Jonagold, or McIntosh.
After dipping the apples in caramel, you can leave them plain, or roll them in anything from chopped nuts, sprinkles, candy pieces, or drizzled chocolate.
- 6 Granny Smith apples, Or Fuji, Jonathan, Jonagold or McIntosh
- 6 wooden sticks
- 1-14 ounce package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped, or sheet caramel
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In each apple insert wooden sticks into the stem end.
- Place apples on lightly greased aluminum foil on a tray or cookie sheet.
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine the caramels and water.
- Cook until caramel melts and is smooth, stirring often.
- Add the vanilla extract. Stir.
- Dip each apple into the caramel mixture, cleaning off any excess caramel with a rubber spatula.
- After coating with caramel, roll your apples in anything you desire.
- If you have any leftover, wrap in plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
This year when you make your Halloween Jack-O-Lanterns save the seeds and roast them.
Roasted pumpkin seeds make great healthy snacks. They may also be used in salads, sautéed vegetables, oatmeal cookies, and hot or cold cereal.
Pumpkin seeds are a good source of omega-3 acid, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, iron, copper, protein, zinc, and vitamin K.
With this fast and simple roasted pumpkin seed recipe, you will be enjoying them in no time.
- Scrape the insides out of your pumpkin into a bowl.
- Separate the seeds from the pulp and throw the pulp away.
- Rinse the seeds by pouring all the seeds into a colander and run it under the faucet.
- Mix pumpkin seeds in a bowl with 2-4 tablespoons of melted butter and seasonings of your choice.
- Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer on an oiled baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10-20 minutes, turning with a spatula every five minutes.
- Pumpkins seeds may be served hot or cold.
- garlic salt
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- Mrs. Dash
- cayenne pepper
- chili powder
- cajun seasoning
- chili-lime seasoning
- italian seasoning
- parmesan cheese
- sea salt
- May use oil in place of the butter.
- Watch carefully so they do not burn.
Homemade Corny Dogs
Homemade corny dogs are not as perfect as store-bought, but they taste a lot better.
You can use a popsicle stick or wooden skewers for holders or just cook without one.
My husband made these with the grandkids. They could not believe you could make them at home. It is amazing what kids think sometimes.
I like to eat mustard with mine. The grandkids like ketchup, and some mix mustard and ketchup. This is a great activity to do with the kids!
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2/3 cup cornmeal (I like yellow.)
- 2 tablespoon shortening
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package hot dogs
- oil for deep-frying
- flour for rolling corn dogs
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, mustard, and chili powder.
- Stir in cornmeal. Cut in shortening.
- Add beaten egg to milk. Add to mixture.
- Pour into a tall glass or container. This way you can cover the corn dog easily with batter.
- Insert stick into the hot dog.
- Roll hot dogs in flour. This makes batter stick better.
- Dip floured hot dog in the batter.
- Drop in the deep-fryer for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Now you are ready to eat!
- Do not overcrowd the deep-fryer.
Piggies In Crescent Rolls
I love these little piggies—little smokies sausage all wrapped in a blanket of a crescent roll.
Some folks call them pigs-in-blanket! They so easy and delicious.
You can use hot dogs or anything you want to wrap. Add cheese too! These make a great party snack!
Ingredients for Piggies In Crescent Roll:
- 1 can crescent roll
- 24 little smokies (or whatever you like)
- Now get your oven heated to 350 degrees. Separate the crescent dough into eight triangles.
- Cut each one into three pieces lengthwise. Place a sausage on each piece and roll up.
- Place on baking pan with the point face down in the pan. Sometimes they like to pop open, so roll up tightly.
- Place in oven and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown—about 12 minutes.
- You can also serve dipping sauces for them such as spicy brown mustard, French's yellow mustard, honey dijon mustard or BBQ sauce.
- The kid will probably want ketchup! Just use your imagination.
I bet you cannot just eat one.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Some folks leave the peels on their mashed potatoes, and some like me like them peeled. I was light on the butter, because it is very popular at our house. We like it! You may add more butter or more of anything if you like. Suit your family's taste.
Mashed potatoes goes with just about any meal. Make extra for leftovers!
I like to top mine with cream gravy!
Kids love mashed potatoes!
- 2 ½ pounds Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, quartered
- ¼ cup milk or half-and-half may need more
- ¼ to ½ cups butter, I just taste to see if they need more
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into quarters. If extra-large, cut so they are equal in size.
- Cover potatoes with cold water. Do not cover. If you choose to cover, watch closely. They will boil over.
- Bring to a boil then cut heat to simmer.
- Cook 15 to 20 minutes, until tender when poked with a fork.
- Drain water off potatoes.
- Add to potatoes milk or half-and-half, butter, salt, and pepper.
- Beat with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- Taste for seasonings.
Serves 4 to 6.
Grannie's Rainbow Poke Cake
This is a special cake I have made with the grandkids throughout the years.
They loved picking the flavors of Jello and getting a piece of cake that is that flavor. This eliminated some of the fussing over what flavor to pick.
Use your imagination with this cake. There are no set rules on flavors, or if you bake in layers, or in oblong cake pans.
I am lazy so I use the oblong pan! Use instant pudding instead of gelatin. This is a fun cake to make.
Make some memories!
- 1 package white cake mix
- 2-3-ounce packages Jello gelatin (Let kids pick the flavors.)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1-8 ounces whipped topping (I like Cool Whip.)
- Make cake mix as directed on the package.
- Put batter in a 9-inch x 13-inch pan.
- Bake cake as directed. Cool 10 minutes.
- Prick cake with utility fork at 1/2-inch intervals.
- You can use one flavor of Jello, but my grandkids like to use two.
- Mix two 3-ounce packages with one cup boiling water to each flavor. Or 1-6 ounce package with 2 cups boiling water.
- If using one flavor, slowly pour over the cake.
- If using two flavors put half on one side, and the other half on the other side.
- Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours.
- Spread with Cool Whip and serve.
- Refrigerate any remaining cake.
Gingerbread Boys and Girls Cookies
The kids will love making these cute gingerbread boys and girls.
Use your imagination with your decorations.
I hope you have fun making these adorable cookies.
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream shortening, sugar, and molasses.
- Add egg yolk; mix well.
- Sift flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Stir flour mixture into creamed mixture; mix well.
- Chill overnight.
- Roll out ¼ inch thick on lightly floured surface.
- Dip cutters in flour before cutting.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in 350-degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Decorate as desired.
Makes one dozen gingerbread boys and girls or 7 to 8 dozen smaller cookies.
Frito Pie Recipe Favorite for Kids and Adults
Frito Pie is a quick, easy, and delicious meal. You can make your own chili or buy canned chili at the store.
I loved to get this at our local drive-in restaurant for lunch when I was a teenager. I still love it today.
Some recipes call for putting it in the oven, but I just assemble and eat. If the cheese is not melted enough for you, pop it in the microwave for a minute or two.
You can even buy the individual bags, or big bags, of Frito. Cut it open and use the bag for your dish.
The kids will love it and adults too!
- 1 cup Frito
- 1 cup chili (homemade, canned, or get momma to make it)
- ¼ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon onion chopped (Take it or leave it.)
- Get a bowl or shallow dish and layer Fritos, chili, and onions, and top with cheese.
- I like to repeat layers, but suit yourself!
- There is nothing exact about this recipe. Add or delete items as you like.
- I like to squirt ketchup on top. I know, it sounds weird.
- Extras you can add: beans, sour cream, guacamole, hot sauce, and jalapeños
English Muffin Pizzas
The kids are going to love these, and they can choose the toppings they want to put on the english muffins. The toppings are endless, from pepperoni to pineapple.
These make a great snack or meal!
- 1 package english muffins, cut into half
- 1-14 ounce jar pizza sauce (I like Ragu.)
- 8-ounce package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-8 ounces pepperoni slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To assemble, place the english muffins (cut side facing up) on a baking sheet.
- Spread as much pizza sauce as you like on each muffin.
- Top each muffin with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices.
- Bake english muffin pizzas in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese melts.
Makes 12 english muffin pizzas.
How to Make Candy Cane Reindeer
Kids Coffee Can Ice-Cream
This fun ice cream can be made without an ice cream maker.
Making coffee can ice cream is a great outdoor activity on a boring summer day.
You can make vanilla, chocolate, or coffee flavor.
Ingredients for Vanilla Coffee Can Ice-Cream
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup light cream
Ingredients for Chocolate Coffee Can IceCream:
- The same ingredients as vanilla coffee can ice cream, except omit the egg
- Add 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Follow directions below for all varieties.
Ingredients for Coffee Flavored Coffee Can Ice-Cram:
- The same ingredients as vanilla coffee can ice cream, except omit the egg
- Add 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1/8 tsp. salt.
Follow directions below for all varieties.
- In 1 lb. coffee can mix all ingredients.
- Seal the can lid well with duct tape.
- Place small, sealed can inside 3 lb. can.
- Around small can, pack ice and 1 cup salt.
- Put the lid on the large can and duct taped closed.
- Roll back and forth for 15 minutes.
- Open large can pour out the ice and water.
- Clean outside of small can; open.
- Stir mixture, scraping sides of the can.
- Additional ingredients such as cookie crumbs, chopped nuts, can be added now.
- Reseal small can and place back in the larger can.
- Repack with salt and ice.
- Continue rolling for 10 minutes more.
- Open large can pour off the ice and water.
- Wipe small can dry and open.
- Add cookies, candy or fruit.
- Always do this outdoors.
- Roll on a towel.
- An adult should supervise smaller kids.
How to Make Snow Ice Cream
Snow ice cream is a lot of fun to make. Plus, it can taste surprisingly good. I have fond memories of making snow ice cream when I was a kid.
When we were lucky enough to get some in Texas, we would go out and find a clean place to scoop up the snow in a bowl and hurry back inside to make some yummy snow ice cream.
Try one of the recipes I have supplied and make your own memories!
Ingredients for Snow Ice Cream # 1:
- 8 cups snow, or shaved ice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
Instructions for Snow Ice Cream # 1:
- In a large bowl place snow or shaved ice.
- Pour condensed milk over snow.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix to combine.
- Serve immediately in bowls.
Ingredients for Snow Ice Cream # 2:
- 1 gallon snow
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk
Instructions for Snow Ice-Cream # 2:
- When it starts to snow, place a large, clean bowl outside to collect the flakes.
- When the bowl is full, stir in sugar and vanilla to taste.
- Then stir in just enough milk for the desired consistency.
- Serve at once.
Ingredients for Snow Ice-Cream # 3:
- 1-12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-gallon fresh clean snow
Instructions for Snow Ice-Cream # 3:
- In a large bowl mix evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla extract and sugar until smooth.
- Gradually stir in snow until desired consistency.
- Replace regular milk with chocolate milk.
- Try different flavored extracts.
Superfoods Kids Love to Eat!
Which of these superfood does your child like the most?See results without voting
Please Rate the Kid-Friendly Recipes! Thanks!
More by this Author
Family favorite soups are cream of broccoli cheddar, tomato basil, hot and sour, Cheeseburger, French onion, and more. The cold weather really makes us crave our favorite soup!
Making homemade Hot Tamales can be time-consuming, but worth every minute it takes. Call your friends and family for help and have a Tamale Making Party.
Casseroles are easy to make and leftovers are even better! Some of my favorite main dish and side dish casserole are hashbrown, eggplant, chicken enchilada, sweet potato and more! Pick your favorite!
Let Me Hear What You Think About the Kid-Friendly Recipes and Activities!
No comments yet.