Kale and Feta Pizza—Perfect for a Night at Home
Easy, Healthy Kale and Feta Pizza Recipe
First, Make the Kale Pesto Sauce
You can make pesto out of anything green. Regular pesto is usually made from fresh basil leaves. Making a kale pesto spread for this flatbread pizza builds the taste with all the same ingredients, taking this pizza to the next level.
When you cook vegetables, you lose 40% or more of their health benefits.
You don't cook pesto, so you are getting the full health benefits of the raw vegetables. Give this delicious pizza a try. If you like spinach/ feta pies, you will love this one too.
Kale and Feta Pizza
- 2 cups of kale pulled off the course stem (Do not use the stems, as they are bitter.)
- 2 small green onions
- 2 cloves of garlic (The more garlic you add the hotter the pesto will be. I put in 4.)
- 1 slice of lemon
- tablespoon of basil
- tablespoon of oregano
- small bunch fresh parsley (Parsley is usually the main ingredient in pestos.)
- Then if there is room, fill to the top of the blender with kale.
This is very easy to make.
- You put all the ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Slowly pouring olive oil, into the food processor until all ingredients grind into a paste.
TIP: Kale is from the cabbage family, so it is hard to blend up. Use a food processor if you have one because it makes this recipe way easier to prepare. Also, the longer pesto sits the better flavor it gets.
Tip: Kale pesto stays green even after freezing it in ice cube trays, unlike some that turn brown after being frozen. This will keep for up to 2 weeks in your refrigerator.
Making the Pesto
Second, Make the Pizza With These Ingredients
Ingredients for Kale and Feta Pizza
- 4 cups Kale, rip off stems and rough chopped
- small bunch Parsley, wash and add to food processer
- 2 green onions, chopped in half
- 2 cloves of garlic, squashed and peeled
- dash salt/pepper, add to food processer
- teaspoon oregano
- teaspoon Basil
- cup or more Olive Oil, add to food processer until mixture turns to paste
- 3 strips smoky bacon, chopped and fried in frying pan
- small white onion, diced small
- hand full Feta cheese, crumbled over pizza
- 1 flat bread, coated on bottom with olive oil
- table spoon Asiago cheese, grated freshly on top of pizza
Instructions for Kale and Feta Pizza
- Chop smoky bacon into small diced pieces and add to a frying pan without any oil. Also, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Dice the white onion into small pieces and add to bacon in the frying pan. Cook both until crispy.
- Hand rip kale off stems (do not add stems are bitter), and add 1 cup of kale to frying pan after bacon and onions are crispy. Add salt/pepper.
- Add kale to the frying pan and cook until it is wilted. Do not put it on flat bread raw, as it will get crunchy and burn up in the oven.
- Pour a small amount of olive oil on one side of the flatbread, rub over the entire side, then turn it over.
- On the top side of the flatbread, smear on the kale pesto sauce you made (you made enough pesto for 8 pizzas), and crumble feta cheese over pesto (as much as you like).
- Grate the Asiago cheese across the top and put in a 400 pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or until the bottom is a golden brown and the Asiago cheese is melted.
- Eat and enjoy your new found flavors of this awesome pizza pie.
Do you eat Kale?
Would this Kale and Feta pizza appeal to you?
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Susan Britton