Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Homemade Pizza Sauce Is Versatile
I never thought that making pizza sauce was so easy until I made it one morning. It took me about 20 minutes to make it from scratch.
This pizza sauce came out amazingly well. It was more flavorful, grainy, perfect to spread, and super delicious compared to the store-bought pizza sauce.
You can use this sauce not only for making pizza but also for pasta, as a side dish for snacks, as a spread for a sandwich, etc.
The main ingredients for making pizza sauce are tomatoes, olive oil, basil, garlic, and dried oregano. You will get a nice aroma while making this sauce.
Let me now share with you a detailed recipe for making pizza sauce.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 small cup of pizza sauce
- 4 tomatoes, ripe and red, roughly chopped in small cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/4 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Wash and finely chop the tomatoes. Put them in a blender and make a puree. Don't grind it fully; leave some pieces or chunks in the puree. This will give a proper texture to the sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a deep bottomed non-stick pan. Add chopped garlic and saute over low heat until they become brownish.
- Throw in chopped tomatoes. Increase the heat and saute until the tomatoes are cooked and start leaving oil on the edges. Lower the heat.
- Add dried oregano, red chili powder, pepper powder, sugar, chopped basil leaves, and salt. Mix well and continue sauteing for 2 more minutes. Now, the sauce should easily leave the bottom. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the sauce to a bowl and set aside to cool.
Storage and Serving Notes
- Store it in an airtight jar and keep it in a refrigerator. It will stay fresh for 3–4 days.
- If you want to keep it for a longer period, store it in a freezer bag and deep-freeze it.
- Use this sauce as a pizza spread or bread spread. It can be a tasty side dish and also, an ingredient to make snacks.
© 2018 ShailaSheshadri