Classic Club Sandwich Recipe
Looking for a sandwich that will make a statement for a meal or party gathering? Try the classic club sandwich, a toasted or un-toasted sandwich loaded with, bacon, turkey, ham, cheeses, lettuce, and tomatoes.
The club would be good with any meat or cheese of your choice; make it your own creation!
The club sandwich is a classic; it has been around for a long time. I remember them back in the 1950s when I was a young child. Today the club sandwich is still popular and delicious! Every time I see someone getting one in a restaurant I wish I had ordered one!
- 3 slices bread, toasted, wheat or white
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 slices cheese, American or cheddar
- 4 slices ham, shaved
- 4 slices tomatoes, sliced
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 slices bacon, crisp
- 2 slices Monterey jack cheese
- 4 slices turkey, shaved
- Toast the three slices of bread.
- Next, spread the mayonnaise on one side of one piece of toasted bread. Top with American cheese, turkey, two slices of bacon, two slices of tomatoes and two leaves of lettuce.
- Get the second piece of toast and spread with mayonnaise on one side, put on top with mayonnaise side down.
- Spread the mayonnaise on top of the second piece of toast, top with the bacon, Monterrey Jack cheese, turkey, two slices of the tomatoes and two leaves of lettuce.
- Take the third piece of toast spread one side with mayonnaise and put the top with mayonnaise side down.
- Cut the sandwich diagonally into quarters or in halves. To hold the layers together use cocktail toothpicks. Wow, now the best part we are ready to dig in and start eating!
- Serves one hungry person!
The Options Are Endless
Make it toasted or not, any kind of bread, buns, mayo, mustard, ketchup, and your favorite meats and cheeses! Make it as big as you can get your mouth around! Whatever your little heart desires!
I think my heart would desire grilled chicken, guacamole or sliced avocados, onions, tomatoes, and lettuce with mayo stacked on one of my homemade buns!
History of the Club Sandwich
The club sandwich is also known as a clubhouse sandwich. It seems the invention of the sandwich could go as far back as the late 19th century. The origin of the sandwich was in the U.S., but there is some debate about the place, but the state was New York. Some claim it was invented in Saratoga Springs, New York at a gambling club that entertained exclusive gentlemen.
Side dishes that are served today are French fries or potato chips. A side of fruit would be a good choice too! The club sandwich is not for the weight watcher; it is packed with lots of calories and fat grams, but oh so delicious!
Have you eaten a club sandwich?
© 2018 Margie's Southern Kitchen