Grilled Vegetable and Mozzarella Sandwich With Pesto
A Perfect Summer Sandwich
Take a trip to your local farmer's market and grill up your finds, pile them onto a soft ciabatta roll, and add some fresh mozzarella and jarred pesto. My favorite combination of vegetables is red onion, zucchini, and sweet peppers. Portobello mushrooms or eggplant are also excellent choices if you want a heartier sandwich.
- 1 large zucchini, sliced diagonally into 8 pieces
- 2 bell peppers, quartered
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 4 ciabatta rolls, split
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons jarred pesto
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine sliced onions, zucchini, and peppers in a bowl. Add the vinegarette and toss gently to coat. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat your grill to medium-high heat. Slice ciabatta rolls in half and brush the cut sides with olive oil.
- Cut avocados in half and remove the pits. Scoop the insides into a bowl. Add lime juice and salt. Mash with a fork until almost smooth.
- Grill vegetables for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Add rolls, cut side down, and grill until toasted, about 3 minutes. Allow vegetables to cool slightly. Remove the chared pepper skin.
- Spread avocado on the bottom half of each roll. Top with onion, zucchini, pepper, and cheese. Spread pesto on the top half of each roll and close each sandwich.
|Serving size: 1 Sandwich|
|Calories from Fat||333|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 37 g||57%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 58 g||19%|
|Sugar 9 g|
|Fiber 10 g||40%|
|Protein 12 g||24%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|