I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Sardines is one of those staple foods that you'll always find in my cupboard. One of the things I like most about this fish is that I can eat them straight from the can. In this recipe, though, I use the sardines to create a tasty open-face cheesy sandwich.
Sardines come in several different flavors or styles; one of my favorites is sardines in oil. That is the type I used in this recipe.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
For the sandwich:
- 4 slices bread loaf
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sardine spread (recipe below)
For the sardine spread:
- 80 grams sardines, in oil
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 tablespoon pickles
- 1/2 kalamansi, juiced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 small bowl
- fork or spoon
- pizza pan
- chopping board
- Make the sardine spread: In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the sardine spread. Set aside.
- Toast bread in an oven until slightly cooked.
- Cover the soft side of the bread with a generous amount of homemade sardine spread.
- Grate some cheese on top of the open-faced sandwich.
- Bring it back to the oven. Cook until the cheese is totally melted.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat.
- Slice it in half before serving.
Tips and Techniques
- For a gooier texture, use mozzarella cheese.
- Use sardines in oil for its neutral flavor.
- Toast the sandwich before serving to maintain its crunchy texture.
- Use any kind of bread available.
- If you don't have access to an oven, you can cook this sandwich on the stovetop using a pan or grill pan.
More Tasty Sardine Recipe
- How to Make Sardine Spread
Learn how to make a delicious sardine spread to enjoy with your favorite crackers or breads.
- How to Make Sardines in Tomato Sauce Dumplings
There are so many different kinds of dumplings in the world! Depending on the country, there may be several traditional, regional varieties. This is my recipe for Sardines in Tomato Sauce Dumplings.
© 2019 Travel Chef
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on February 28, 2020:
The best combination for me. Absolutely affordable! I hope you try it!
Bushra on February 28, 2020:
Sardine and cheese - sounds like a great and combo!
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on December 04, 2019:
I'm pretty sure that you will enjoy this sandwich.
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on December 02, 2019:
That looks lovely. Thankyou for sharing this with us, I shall try this sandwich.