Bread Recipes: How to Make Bread Uttapam or "Open Sandwich"
Bread Uttapam or "Open Sandwich"
Breakfast for Two in 15-20 Minutes!
Bread uttapam, or "open sandwich," is a quick and easy dish that can be made in a jiffy. Especially when you haven't planned for a breakfast, this hassle-free recipe comes to your aid. The ingredients used in this recipe ensure you that your bread uttapam is a healthy and appetizing snack.
Open sandwich is a kid-friendly snack too. Serving your children two slices of this uttapam in the morning provides them with enough energy for their activities. The crunchy vegetable topping and corn makes this sandwich irresistible and mouthwatering.
Eat these sandwiches hot to get the maximum pleasure because they may lose crispiness once they become cold.
Now, let me show you how to make these open sandwiches at home.
- 6-8 bread slices
- 1/3 cup semolina(sooji), fine wheat semolina
- 1 cup yogurt or thick curd, not sour
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- a pinch turmeric powder
- 2 tsp butter, for greasing the pan
- a pinch sugar, optional, to balance the taste
- salt to taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Bread Uttapam or "Open Sandwich"
- Put semolina, chopped veggies, yogurt, corn, chopped curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chilies, turmeric powder, sugar, chopped onions, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Thoroughly mix them. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Grab 2-3 bread slices in a batch to make sandwiches. Grease a pan, and heat it. Place the bread slices on it. Let the bottom roast. Flip them.
- Spread the semolina mix generously on the surface. Add a few drops of oil or butter on the edges and top. Keep the heat medium-low. Flip it along with the spread after a minute.
- Add a few drops of oil or butter on the edges. Cover the pan for a minute. Let the spread cook for two minutes. Gently take them out with the help of a flat ladle.
- Place them on a serving plate. Repeat the same for making the remaining sandwiches.
- Eat bread uttapam when hot. After some time, they may lose crispiness. Happy eating!
Nutritional Information of "Open Sandwich" or Bread Uttapam
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 36 g||12%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 112 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|