Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Breakfast for Two in 15–20 Minutes!
Bread uttapam, a type of open sandwich, is a quick and easy dish that can be made in a jiffy. When you don't have a plan for breakfast, this hassle-free recipe can come to your aid.
Not only is this recipe quick—it's kid-friendly and healthy, too. Serve your children two slices in the morning, and they will have ample energy for the day's activities. The crunchy vegetable and corn topping makes this sandwich irresistible and mouthwatering to kids and adults alike.
These sandwiches are best enjoyed hot because they may lose their crispiness once they become cold. Now, let me show you how to make uttapam at home.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 6–8 bread slices
- 1/3 cup semolina (sooji)
- 1 cup yogurt or thick curd, not sour
- 8–10 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- a pinch turmeric powder
- 2 tsp butter, for greasing the pan
- a pinch sugar (optional, to balance the flavor)
- salt, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine the semolina, chopped veggies, yogurt, corn, chopped curry leaves, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chilies, turmeric powder, sugar, chopped onions, and salt. Mix the ingredients together thoroughly and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Grab 2–3 bread slices as a batch to make sandwiches. Grease a pan, heat it, and place the bread slices on it. Let the bottoms roast, then flip them.
- Spread the semolina mix generously on the surface. Add a few drops of oil or butter on the edges and top. Keep the heat on medium-low. Flip each piece along with the spread after 1 minute.
- Add a few drops of oil or butter on the edges. Cover the pan for 1 minute. Let the spread cook for 2 minutes. Gently take them out with the help of a flat ladle.
- Place them on a serving plate. Repeat this process to make the remaining sandwiches.
- Eat open bread sandwich while they're hot. After some time, they may lose their crispiness. Happy eating!