I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
A Unique Sweet Sandwich
We often make spicy sandwiches, but sweet sandwiches are rare and unique. Ripe plantain has a distinct taste and flavor. It is a versatile fruit. You can make a wide variety of snacks using plantains. These snacks are healthy and filling. Plantains are rich sources of fiber, carbohydrates, protein, and vitamins. They are easily digestible.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 pieces of sandwich
- 1 medium-sized bowl full of chopped ripe plantain (about 1 plantain), remove the skin
- 4 slices bread
- 1 teaspoon ghee or oil, for making the stuffing
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ghee or butter, for making the sandwich
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon or less salt
- 1 tablespoon or more sugar, as per taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated coconut (optional, adds a nice flavor)
- Remove the skin of the ripe plantain. Roughly chop it. I used one ripe plantain to make 2 sets of sandwiches (4 pieces).
- Grind the plantain in a blender/mixer to get a coarse or near-smooth paste. Place it in a bowl.
- Heat oil or ghee in a non-stick pan. Add plantain pulp. Give it a quick stir. Put the fire on low. Continuously stir it till plantain pulp turns from yellow to orange. This may take about 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, and salt. Continue stir-cooking till the pulp forms a ball. Turn off the fire. Keep aside for cooling. This is the stuffing for making the sandwiches.
- Take a bread slice. Evenly spread 1/2 of the stuffing on it. Cover it with another slice. Make the other sandwich using the remaining stuffing.
- Heat a flat pan. Add a few drops of ghee or butter. Place the sandwiches on it. Toast till they turn golden brown. Flip them and add a few drops of ghee or butter. Toast until the other side is also golden brown.
- Remove the sandwiches and keep them on a plate. Cut them in two using a knife. Serve them hot. Relish the taste of these scrumptious plantain sandwiches!
- Plantain pulp has a tendency to stick to the pan. Use a non-stick pan to avoid burning the bottom.
- Add a few drops of oil or ghee while sauteing.
- Eat these sandwiches hot.