Claudia has been writing recipes online for many years. She enjoys coming up with unique and tasty dishes, especially sweet treats.
When sitting around a campfire and enjoying the company of friends and family, few things are nicer than eating delicious treats cooked over the open fire. One of the best things to make, besides s'mores of course, are mountain pies, or campfire pies. From sweet to savory, and anything in between, they are the perfect camping snack.
With more people spending time their own backyards these days, they can easily be made at home too. In fact, there is a much larger selection of ingredients to choose from at home.
Not Your Grandma's Mountain Pies
You'll find that most of these recipes aren't the old standbys that you are familiar with. These are gourmet mountain pies, and they are delicious.
From meat-filled delights to sugar overload, you'll find all kinds of ideas to help you step up your cookout game and impress your friends.
Here's an idea. Why not have a mountain pie dinner night and whip up some of your favorite flavor combinations? And don't forget that they are great for dessert too.
So go on and dust off those campfire pie makers, get a little creative, and try one of these 80 plus mountain pie recipes.
Mountain Pie Tips
Mountain pies are pretty easy to make. Just don't burn yourself at the campfire or opening the metal sandwich maker. That thing gets really hot!
Here are some other things you should consider when creating your masterpiece.
- Don't use raw meat. The campfire may be hot, but the sandwich maker isn't on the heat long enough to cook meat.
- Don't overstuff. Everybody loves lots of chocolate oozing out of their pie, but if you put too much filling in, the bread won't seal properly.
- Skip the mayonnaise. Mayo and heat don't mix well and mayonnaise can go bad quickly. Instead, if you really want some, why not dip it on afterwards.
- Cook the eggs. Don't use raw eggs. The bread gets too soft and the egg may not get adequately cooked.
- Don't use lettuce. Lettuce is one of those vegetables that does not heat well. It wilts and gets slimy. Of course you may not mind that. A good substitute is spinach, but even that wilts with the heat.
- Avoid raw vegetables. They can be a bit tricky because some produce a lot of liquid when cooking. Try sautéed ones instead, but make sure to drain off any liquid.
- Go light on sauces. Go easy on the sauces as a filling. The bread can get mushy. Consider using it as a dipping sauce instead.
- Expand your bread repertoire. Don't limit yourself to white bread. Try different types. Brioche bread for some of the dessert mountain pies is out of this world.
How to Make a Mountain Pie
To make a good mountain pie, you need a good maker. When looking to buy one, look for a heavy duty cast iron pie iron. They work well and give you those nice sealed sandwich edges and even browning.
- Get a nice campfire going.
- Open up your mountain pie maker and lay it on a flat surface.
- Take one piece of bread and butter the side that will be against the mountain pie maker.
- Butter another piece of bread and lay it against the other side of the maker.
- Add your ingredients on one side.
- Close the maker and cook it.
- Once it's done (and you may need to check it a couple of times) carefully open up the maker and turn the pie out onto a plate. Don't touch though. It's hot!
- Be extremely careful as these get incredibly hot! Let them cool to a point where you won't be burned before you eat them.
Few things soothe the soul more than a hearty meal, and even though they may be small, mountain pies can be pretty hearty. So raid your kitchen cupboards, or make a quick stop at the grocery store, and grab the ingredients you need for one of these awesome recipes.
Bacon, Brown Sauce
Sliced Pork, Chicken or Beef, Pickled Vegetables, Cilantro
Pulled Pork or Chicken, Cheddar Cheese
Bratwurst, Caramelized Onions, Gruyere Cheese
Bacon or Sausage, Eggs, Cheese
Ground Beef, American Cheese, Onion, Mustard, Ketchup
Chicken Salad Melt
Shredded Chicken, Cheddar Cheese
Dried Beef, White Sauce
Thin Sliced Ham, Gruyere Cheese, Pinch of Nutmeg
Sliced Roast Pork, Sliced Ham, Swiss Cheese, Pickles
Sliced Hot Dog, Ketchup and Curry Powder Sauce
Choice of Sliced Deli Meat, Choice of Sliced Cheese
Peanut Butter, Banana, Bacon
Sliced Roast Beef, Caramelized Onions
Ham and Pickle
Ham, Pickle and Cream Cheese
Salami, Provolone, Tomato
Thinly Sliced Ham and Butter
Lobster Chunks, Butter, Chopped Celery
Lox, New York Style
Sliced Lox, Red Onion, Tomato, Cream Cheese
More Savory Options With Meat
Meatballs (sliced), Spaghetti Sauce, Mozarella Cheese
Egg, Ham, Butter, Mustard, Gruyere Cheese
Salami, Mortadella, Provolone, Olive Tapenade
Ground Beef, Sautéed Onions, American Cheese, Mustard
Turkey, Cranberry Sauce, Stuffing
Deli Meat, French Fries, Provolone, Tomato
Pepperoni or Sausage, Choice of Vegetables, Mozzarella Cheese
Fried Seafood, Tomato
Pastrami, Swiss Cheese, Coleslaw (without mayonnaise)
Corned Beef, Swiss Cheese, Sauerkraut
Sliced Sausage, Sautéed Onions and Mozzarella Cheese
Sausage & Peppers
Sausage, Sautéed Onions and Peppers, Provolone Cheese
Ground Beef, Mixed Vegetables, Gravy, Mashed Potatoes
Sloppy Joe Meat, Cheese
Lamb or Chicken Pieces, Greek Seasoning, Onions, Tomatoes, Feta Cheese
Steak & Cheese
Thin Sliced Steak, Sautéed Onions and Peppers, Mozzarella Cheese
Taco Meat, Cheddar Cheese, Tomato
Tuna, Celery, Onion, Cheddar Cheese
Turkey, Bacon, Tomato, American Cheese
Turkey, Bacon, Tomato, Cheddar Cheese Sauce
Black Beans, Onions, Pico de Gallo, Queso Fresco
Avocado, Carrots, Sprouts, Goat Cheese
Basil Leaves, Mozzarella, Tomato
Cheese and Pickle
Sliced Cheddar and Chutney
Falafel, Tabouleh, Tahini Sauce
Caramelized Onions, Gruyere Cheese
Swiss Cheese, Sauerkraut
Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions
Mozzarella Cheese, Pesto, Tomato
Eggplant, Onions, Tomatoes, Zucchini, Italian Seasoning
Red Beans & Rice
Red Beans, Rice
Spinach, Feta Cheese, Dill
Vegetable Sauté (pictured)
Various Roasted Vegetables, Cheese
Don't forget dessert! There's nothing like some ooey gooey melted chocolate to put a smile on your face and recharge your batteries after hiking all day.
Fresh Sliced Apples, Cream Cheese, Honey, Cinnamon
Honey, Chopped Pistachios, Cream Cheese
Banana Cream Pie
Banana, Cream Cheese, Marshmallow
Cookie Crumbles, Frosting, Marshmallow
Black Forest Cake
Chocolate Cookie Crumbles, Cherry Pie Filling, Cream Cheese
Cream Cheese, Caramel Sauce
Finely Chopped Carrots, Crushed Pineapple (drained), Cream Cheese, Raisins
Chocolate Covered Strawberry
Sliced Strawberries and Chocolate Chips
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, Chopped Hazelnuts
Coconut Cream Pie
Cream Cheese, Marshmallow, Coconut Flakes
Cookies and Cream
Cream Cheese, Crumbled Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, Marshmallow
Peanut Butter, Marshmallows
Fruit Pie Filling
German Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Chips, Flaked Coconut, Caramel Sauce
More Sweet Options
Chocolate Chips, Marshmallow, Cinnamon,
Crumbled Vanilla Sandwich Cookies, Chopped Pecans, Crushed Pineapple (Drained), Banana
Key Lime Pie
Cream Cheese, Lime Curd, Marshmallow
Cream Cheese, Lemon Curd, Marshmallow
Peanut Butter, Jelly or Jam
Peach Slices, Cream Cheese, Honey, Cinnamon
Peanut Butter Cup
Chocolate Chips, Peanut Butter
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Pineapple Pie Filling, Maraschino Cherries
Pumpkin Puree, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cream Cheese
Brie Cheese, Chocolate, Raspberry Jam
Chocolate, Marshmallow, Crumbled Graham Crackers
Strawberry Shortcake (pictured)
Strawberries, Cream Cheese, Marshmallow
Sweet Potato Pie
Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Cinnamon, Marshmallow
Chocolate Chips, Caramel Sauce
Why not have a campfire tonight and try making mountain pies. You won't be disappointed if you use one of these delicious recipes!
© 2020 Claudia Porter