Cholee is a stay-at-home mom who enjoys creating family and budget-friendly recipes from scratch.
Do you need something fast and easy that cooks while you're away? Try these shredded chicken sandwiches in a homemade barbecue sauce. These great sandwiches are easy to make, and they partner well with any kind of potato side dish or salad.
This sandwich is perfect for any season. They're so versatile that they can even be whipped up in large batches to be served at pot lucks, backyard barbecues, and large luncheons.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- Season the chicken breasts with seasoning salt and paprika.
- Pan-sear or grill for about 8 minutes.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard into a slow cooker.
- Add the chicken and heat until cooked through. I simmer on slow for the whole day just to allow the sauce to soak into the chicken. When I get home, I turn it off and make the potatoes or other side dish.
- Assemble your sandwiches with the tasty barbecue chicken. See my bread suggestions below.
10 Sides for Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
The best way to complement a sandwich is by creating a delicious side to go with it. These are the top 10 sides that I love pairing with this sweet and smokey BBQ chicken sandwich.
- Coleslaw: With a creamy, crunchy, and tangy profile, coleslaw truly is the perfect side for a barbecue sandwich.
- Broccoli, apple, and radish slaw: This tangy slaw adds the perfect crunch and cuts through the fatty sweet flavors of the chicken sandwich.
- Fruit salad: Juicy sweet fruits tone down the richness in this sandwich, and offer up a healthy refreshing side dish option.
- Potato salad: The creamy richness of potato salad complements this sandwich nicely. Add bacon and the smoky flavor ties the whole meal together.
- Cold noodle salads: Perfect for those hot summer days, cold noodle salads add creamy tangy flavors that merry beautifully with the flavors of this barbecue chicken sandwich.
- Baked beans: Not just a side for hot dogs and burgers anymore. You can create so many different flavor profiles with baked beans which makes this the number one favorite summer side dish for any barbecue flavored sandwich.
- Macaroni and cheese: A childhood favorite for many, mac and cheese makes a complimentary side dish for these barbecue chicken sandwiches on any summer day.
- Crispy potato wedges: You can never go wrong with french fries. Seasoned crispy wedges are no different, and they're an absolute favorite in my house.
- Grilled corn: What is a barbecue without grilled corn? This BBQ chicken sandwich may not be "true" barbecue food, but it still pairs great with grilled corn slathered in butter, sprinkled with salt , and topped with parmesan or crumbled feta cheese.
- Deviled eggs: It wouldn't be a barbecue without deviled eggs. If you are looking for something small yet satisfy deviled eggs are the way to go. These little bite sized side dishes are the perfect vehicle to add and play with flavors. The flavor profiles for these delicious dishes are truly endless.
What Kind of Bread?
We have our meat, all our tasty sides, but let's not forget about the buns. Hamburger buns may be everyone's first choice, but I like to do things outside the box. Especially when it comes to cooking and serving my food. I personally don't like generic hamburger buns as they tend to fall apart and get soggy when too much meat or sauce gets on them. Instead, I have compiled a shortlist of alternative options that will stand up to such a messy sandwich.
- Ciabatta buns: These are my absolute favorite for this sandwich. A little butter and then seared or grilled creates a soft outer top layer with a crunchy bottom that can withstand the saucy meat piled high.
- Split Kaiser and French rolls: These are also great buns to mop up all that delicious sauce.
- Potato rolls: These rolls are on the softer side and closely resemble regular hamburger buns, however they are a little better at holding together and not melting away to nothing when the BBQ chicken is added.
- Hawaiian buns: These buns contain the right amount of sweetness that pairs perfectly with these sandwiches. Making these the best buns for BBQ chicken sliders.
All you have left to do is sit back and enjoy this sandwich. Whether you are hosting a backyard barbecue, getting ready for a football party, or simply looking for a quick and easy dinner this sandwich is the perfect crowd-pleaser.
© 2012 Cholee Clay