What is life without good food? Inspired by home cooking and travel, I create easy recipes for the everyday.
This fresh and fruity vegan recipe makes a great breakfast or a light lunch. You can also replace the bread with bruschetta to create canapes for a party.
The recipe was inspired in part by my travels around the Caucasus countries of Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. The people in these countries are masters of mixing the fruity with the spicey and herby. Although I never saw this exact combination on a menu, I tasted numerous dishes that used this kind of flavour combination.
The creamy fava beans and tart, sweet pomegranate seeds combine beautifully. The deep spiciness of freshly cracked black pepper elevates this very simple dish. You will be blown away by how delicious this dish is.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 200g (7 oz) frozen fava beans
- 2 slices of your favourite bread for toasting
- 2 heaped tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- Pomegranate molasses to enhance the flavour of the seeds
- Squeeze of lemon
- Chopped dill
- Blanche frozen fava beans in boiling water.
- Remove skins from beans.
- Remove podded beans from water and mix in a separate bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper (add lemon if using).
- Blend half the beans.
- Add blended mixture to unblended beans and mix.
- Toast the bread as you like.
- Top toast with bean mixture and sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top.
- Finish by adding a drizzle of pomegranate molasses, dill, an extra squeeze of lemon juice if using, extra olive oil, salt and pepper as you like.
- For the best pomegranate seeds, use seeds straight from the fruit, rather than seeds from a supermarket pack.
- Speed up the recipe and lose the blender by using canned beans, but expect the colour of the beans to be that of guacamole rather than the vivid green of fresh or frozen beans.
- Do not underestimate the importance of the black pepper in this recipe.
- Bean mixture and pomegranate seeds: Depending on how much you load your toast, you might have some leftover pomegranate and bean mixture. Combine your leftovers with iceberg lettuce, cucumber, feta and a drizzle of olive oil to make a beautiful salad.
- Fava bean skins: Do not throw away your fava bean skins! Drizzle your skins with oil (I use Carotino Healthier Cooking Oil for the high burning point and neutral flavour) and season with salt before roasting in the oven for approx. six minutes. They emerge from the oven crispy and delicious.
Rate this recipe
© 2019 Kathryn Worthington