Alyssa loves sharing her family's favorite recipes with the world. She is a wife and a mom who enjoys drinking copious amounts of coffee.
Growing up, one of my favorite meals was shredded chicken sandwiches. There was a local poultry company that sold shredded chicken in quart-sized containers, and they were the absolute best!
Every now and then, I find myself craving this delicious dish—but unfortunately the brand I grew up with is unavailable in the area where I live. Luckily, my husband has a few tricks up his sleeve. He introduced me to this homemade version he grew up with and I instantly fell in love with the recipe. It's just as good, if not better, than what I remember as a child. It's also a lot less expensive and there's something to be said about making a beloved dish yourself.
This is such an easy and simple recipe, perfect for a busy weekend or a potluck dish. I used sourdough bread, but you can easily swap that out for whole wheat, Texas Toast, or your family's favorite. One thing is for sure, this will quickly become one of your family's favorite dishes, too!
Read More From Delishably
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 (26-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 pkg stuffing, chicken
- 16 ounces unsalted chicken stock, or to taste
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (optional)
- Place the chicken breasts in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat. Continuing boiling for 30 minutes. The FDA recommends chicken be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the chicken is cooked thoroughly, place on a cutting board and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Using a fork, shred chicken and add to a large pot. Mix in cream of chicken, stuffing, and chicken stock. Cook for 10 minutes or until hot. You can add more or less of the chicken stock for desired thickness.
- Cut sourdough loaf in half length-wise and bake according to instructions.
- Once bread is baked, cut into bun-sized chunks. Spoon a generous amount of shredded chicken onto each bun. Serve with chips for a picnic-style meal.
© 2021 Alyssa