Quick and Easy Recipes: Making Carrot Chutney
Carrot Chutney or Carrot Sauce
Making Chutney With Boiled Carrots
When you get bored of eating the same food for a whole week, switch over to this carrot chutney to satisfy your taste buds. You can make this appetizing chutney in about 15 minutes. You will get longer free time too.
Serve this tangy, spicy, and naturally mild-sweet chutney/sauce with plain rice. Enjoy the taste of this combo. You can leave this out at room temperature for about 24 hours. After that, store the leftover chutney in the refrigerator.
You need carrots, coconut, dry red chilies, white lentils, coriander seeds, curry leaves, tamarind, mustard seeds, oil, and salt to make this carrot chutney. Now, let me show the recipe for you.
Ingredients for Making Carrot Chutney
- 2 medium size carrots, thinly diced and boiled
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 4-5 dry red chilies, broken
- 1/2 tsp tamarind, soak in water for 10 minutes
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1 tsp white lentils or urad dal, 1/2 tsp for the masala, 1/2 tsp for the tempering
- a few coriander seeds
- 6 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1 tsp oil, coconut oil preferred, 1/2 tsp for the masala, 1/2 tsp for the tempering
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Carrot Chutney or Carrot Sauce
- Wash carrots. Peel them. Thinly dice and boil them in just sufficient water till they become soft. Keep aside for cooling.
- In the meanwhile, Heat 1/2 a teaspoon oil in a small pan. Add white lentils and coriander seeds. Let the lentils turn golden. Add broken red chilies. Mix well. Turn off the fire. Place the pan on the floor.
- Put boiled carrots into a mixer or grinder. Add the fried masala mix, grated coconut, soaked tamarind, and salt. Grind, adding water little by little to get a near-smooth semi-solid paste.
- Transfer it to a bowl. This is the chutney or sauce. Adding tempering to this sauce is not compulsory. But, yes.. it truly enhances the taste and flavor of this chutney.
- For making the tempering, heat the remaining oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds. Add some white lentils and a broken red chili. Saute till mustard splutters. Throw in curry leaves. Turn off the stove. Pour it on the chutney. Mix well while serving.
- Use this yummy chutney as a side dish for the meal. It goes very well with plain rice and main course rice dishes. Happy eating!