I am a home cook who likes to share recipes I think others will enjoy.
A Simple Creamy Garlic Sauce Recipe
Pasta is a favorite at our house, and I frequently make homemade creamy garlic sauce, pesto, or parma rosa sauce to accompany the meal. Most of these sauces are very easy to prepare and can be used for a variety of purposes. My creamy garlic sauce recipe takes only a few minutes to make and requires only a handful of ingredients. I'll share the recipe here.
- Small saucepan
- Small whisk
- Cutting board and knife
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon tarragon leaves chopped, or
1/4 tsp dried tarragon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mince the garlic cloves and finely chop the onion.
- Melt butter or margarine in a small saucepan over low heat. Add onion and garlic, sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until tender.
- Add 1/3 cup chicken broth to the onion/garlic mixture and continue to heat on low. In a small cup, combine another 1/3 cup chicken broth with 2 teaspoons cornstarch.
- Whisk thoroughly with a small whisk. Then gradually add to the saucepan, whisking to combine.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken. This usually takes one to two minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup cream and tarragon. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Taste, then season with salt and pepper as needed. If the sauce becomes too thick, add additional chicken broth (not cream).
Using Your Sauce
This sauce is great with pasta and complements a variety of cooked or sautéed vegetables. One of my favorite variations to the creamy garlic sauce is to add sun-dried tomatoes. I buy them in a jar, and I use 5 or 6 of them, rinsing well and chopping before incorporating them into the sauce.
Rate This Recipe
© 2010 Christine Mulberry
Dale Anderson from The High Seas on July 03, 2013:
Excellent recipe. Will be making this for my wife next week.
kingkos on January 16, 2013:
nice hub i think i like your soup
all the Tools and Ingredients are easy to get in the kitchen.Cool
L.L. Woodard from Oklahoma City on October 04, 2012:
Ah, I've never used tarragon, but since the rest of the garlic sauce recipe looks yummy, will just have to try it as written.
Thanks for sharing this easy-to-make recipe. Voted up and Shared.
PaperNotes on November 18, 2010:
Thanks mulberry! Just so you'll know, I have printed out your recipe right after I read it. Will try to make it for the morrow! Thanks again.
wdywft from Charlotte, NC on November 08, 2010:
Tarragon - I was just about to cook some noodles and homemade cream/garlic sauce - adding tarragon is a great tip. Thanks!
Jody on September 21, 2010:
I made this. Came out nice.
Tony McGregor from South Africa on July 17, 2010:
Love garlixc and love pasta - this is bookmarked for sure!
Thanks so much for sharing what looks like a really great recipe.
Love and peace
Jacob Darkley from California, USA on February 25, 2010:
I will definitely try this. I'm not a great cook but it looks simple enough!
Tony on February 23, 2010:
This looks and sounds really good.
reddog1027 from Atlanta, GA on February 17, 2010:
Thanks for the recipe. It sounds so easy even I could do it.
Nyesha Pagnou MPH from USA on February 16, 2010:
Wow mulberry1, this sauce looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.