How to Make Greek Dressing From Scratch
Tasting the Mediterranean Is Perhaps Easier Than You Think
I love making homemade vinaigrette. We almost never buy bottled dressing anymore, since making it from scratch, fresh whenever we want it, is so easy. We can customize the flavors and seasonings however we want, making dressing that the whole family loves.
This Greek dressing is one of the favorites. Even my pickiest eaters love it, which means getting loads of fresh veggies into them is far easier. I love watching the kids happily munching on loads of salad, leafy greens and fresh veggies. This dressing also takes only a few moments to put together, which makes throwing together fresh foods for them easy peasy.
Even better, this dressing forms the base for Greek power bowls - a big layered salad jam packed with fresh vegetables, beans, feta and diced chicken, making a full dinner lightning fast. Give it a try - you'll love the results!
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
A note: use good olive oil, but don't worry too much about it being extra virgin. I rarely use it unless I use it to finish a dish on its own. Good olive oil is fine—especially since you're adding a lot of strong flavors to it. Extra virgin olive oil would be wasted—save the money for something else where it will count.
- Add olive oil to a mason jar or other container with a tight fitting lid.
- Add red wine vinegar and lemon juice. Pour in salt, pepper, oregano and garlic. If serving immediately, go ahead and add the feta cheese. If making this dressing ahead, you can wait until the last minute to add the feta. The red wine vinegar will discolor the feta cheese if it sits. It won't affect the flavor, but it gets a bit ugly. Ok - to tell on myself - I don't care and just throw it in whenever. But if you want to preserve the pretty white color, hold off.
- Pop the lid on the container and shake it - really go to town on it. This will emulsify the oil and vinegar and lemon juice, helping the dressing to come together and allowing it to cling better to the leafy greens or fresh vegetables when you serve.
- That's it! Serve and enjoy!
Start with Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar
Lemon Juice for Flavor
Fresh Feta Cheese
Just a few Seasonings
1-2 Cloves Minced Garlic
Ready to Go!
Check out the Quick Tutorial
Use your Homemade Dressing for these Incredible Greek Power Bowls!
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Jan Charles