Easy Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
Mayonnaise is a creamy dressing made by combining egg yolk and oil. It is commonly used in salad dressings and as a sandwich spread. Store-bought mayo is quite expensive, so I always make my own version at home.
Making homemade mayonnaise is very easy. For as little as $1, you can make your own healthy version using vegetable oil.
To begin, simply follow these five simple steps. Enjoy!
- 2 calamansi
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- a pinch black pepper
- few drops hot sauce
- few drops Worcestershire sauce
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Prep Bowls (for the ingredients)
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoon
- Wire Whisk
- Food Processor (optional)
- Extract the juice from both calamansi.
- In a bowl, combine calamansi juice, mustard, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and black pepper. Continue stirring until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add egg yolk into the mixture. Blend until well combined.
- While continuously mixing, gradually add vegetable oil into the bowl.
- Continue mixing until the correct consistency is achieved.
Step-by-Step Procedure: Mayonnaise without Blender
Tips and Techniques in Making a Mayonnaise
- If you cannot find calamansi, you may instead use lemon or lime. Calamansi is a citrus fruit that is native to Southeast Asia. Availability of this fruit may be limited in your area; however, if there is an Asian store nearby, you may be able to find calamansi juice.
- Place tablecloth underneath the bowl to keep it from slipping while mixing all the ingredients.
- Make sure that the speed of mixing the ingredients is faster than the speed of adding the oil to keep the mayo from splitting. Otherwise, go back to step number 1.
- Slowly add a tablespoon of cold water while continuously mixing it to lighten the color of the mayonnaise.
- It is more efficient to use a blender or food processor when making a large batch of mayonnaise. As the process requires a continuous mixing of all the ingredients to achieve the right consistency of the mayonnaise.
- Replace vegetable oil with olive oil to make it more healthy.
- Add 1/2 cup of vegetable oil to 1/2 cup of olive oil to maintain its consistency when stored inside the refrigerator.
- I've created a variation of this recipe that I call Homemade Egg Sandwich Spread.
Another Delish Mayonnaise Based Sauce
- How to Make McDonald's Tartar Sauce
Do you love McDonald's? Try my version of their famous tartar sauce. You can prepare this delicious recipe in just five minutes.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Dred Cuan