I love trying new recipes and sharing them with friends. I've been inspired by my mom who loves to bake and my dad who loves to cook.
Lemon curd is an all-time favourite for spreading on scones or crumpets at afternoon tea. The deliciously sweet and tart spread can also be enjoyed on muffins, biscuits, bread or toast, and can be used as a filling in cakes.
I have always loved my mother's homemade lemon curd and could easily finish a jar of the creamy contents. Thickly spread this lemony treat on a slice of hot toast for an irresistible snack.
A recent visit home resulted in a craving for some when I discovered the backyard lemon tree covered in lemons and a house overflowing with lemon this and lemon that. She didn’t have the time to make some while I was visiting, but instead, gave me her recipe and a bag full of lemons to make some of my very own. Thanks, Mom. This recipe is a winner and surprisingly easy to make.
Easy-to-Make Lemon Curd Recipe
Yields: 1 and 1/2 cups
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 200 millilitres sugar
- 100 grams butter or margarine
- 100 millilitres freshly squeezed lemon juice, (125ml if you like more zing)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Put the sugar, lemon juice, butter and salt in a deep saucepan or pot on the stove.
- Melt the mixture over medium heat, stirring well until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Beat the eggs and add to the lemon mixture.
- Keep the heat on low and keep stirring until the mixture has thickened (about 10 min).
- Once the desired consistency is achieved (butternut soup thickness), remove from heat and set aside to cool before pouring it into glass jars.
- The lemon curd will thicken even more as it cools.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to be enjoyed.
Rate This Recipe
Liza from USA on June 16, 2020:
I always wanted to make lemon curd at home. Your recipe seems simple to follow. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Maz Fouche (author) on June 28, 2017:
Hi Spanish, oh yes it is definitely a great gift idea. Add a pretty tag and ribbon to the jar and voila. So wonderful that you have a lemon tree at home :)
Lena Durante from San Francisco Bay Area on June 27, 2017:
I make lemon curd all the time, since I have a lemon tree in my back yard. It makes for great gifts, too, because it's so much easier to make than people realize. ;)
Maz Fouche (author) on June 22, 2017:
Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comment yummycake :)
yummycake from India on June 21, 2017:
Wow! this is really very easy to make. Great Job. Keep it up.