Fenugreek Leaf Chutney (Methi Chutney) Recipe
Fenugreek Leaf Chutney (Methi Chutney)
Mouth-Watering Fenugreek Leaf Chutney
Fenugreek leaf is a nutrient-rich veggie that has a nice aroma. It is a popular culinary ingredient used extensively around the world. Fenugreek has few calories and high nutrients. It is best used in cooking, as it adds special flavor to the food.
Fenugreek leaf is a rich source of iron, dietary fiber, protein, and minerals. It has many medicinal uses. Using it often in your diet helps to maintain proper blood sugar level in the body. It has an outstanding ability to reduce LDL levels, triglycerides, and cholesterol.
This fenugreek leaf chutney is very tasty. It is moderately spicy. It has a perfect blend of saltiness, sourness, and spiciness. You won't make out any bitterness in this chutney.
This easy side dish goes very well with plain rice, dosa, idli, poori etc.
- 1 heaped bowl fenugreek leaves, washed
- 2-3 tbsp grated coconut
- 4-5 dry red chilies
- 1 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp white lentils/urad dal
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds
- goose berry size tamarind
- 1/3 tsp or salt to taste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp oil, for sauteing
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Fenugreek Leaf Chutney (Methi Chutney)
- Keep all the ingredients ready.
- Heat oil in a pan. Throw in white lentils. Saute on a low heat till it becomes golden brown.
- Add coriander seeds, dry red chilies, garlic cloves, and tamarind pieces. Saute for a minute. Turn off the heat. Transfer them to a plate.
- Add onions to the same pan. Saute till they become golden on all sides. Remove and place them on the same plate.
- Next, saute fenugreek leaves in the same pan. Saute until they wilt and get cooked. This may take about 7-8 minutes sauteing on low heat. Collect them in a bowl.
- Put all the sauteed items except sauteed fenugreek into a mixer or blender. Add grated coconut and salt. Grind together to get a coarse sauce.
- Finally, add sauteed fenugreek leaves. Pulse or grind once again till it gets crushed and blends with the other ingredients.
- Now, your favorite fenugreek leaf chutney is ready!
- Serve it with plain rice, dosa, chapati, etc. Enjoy the yummy taste.