Having run her own chocolate shop/continental café, Georgina shares some of her favourite recipes with you.
Fig Jam Recipe
This is my version of fig jam. The addition of lime and chilli make it a versatile accompaniment to savoury dishes, and of course, it is also well-suited to traditional sweet jam uses. It has only a few ingredients and is super simple and quick to make.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
2 kg or 4 lbs
8 (half-pound) jam jars or 4 (500 gram) jars
- 3 pounds/1.5 kilograms ripe figs, washed, topped and tailed
- 1.5 pounds/750 grams jam sugar
- 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes, heaped
- Wash and rinse the jam jars, including lids. Place on a baking tray and into the oven to sterilise at 80 degrees Celcius (or 175 Fahrenheit).
- Wash and dry the figs, then top and tail them. Chop into chunks.
- Mash the figs in a large saucepan, add the sugar, juice and zest of 1 lime, plus the chilli flakes.
- Cook on a low to moderate heat to dissolve the jam sugar and allow the figs to release some juice. Keep stirring to prevent the sugar from sticking.
- Increase the heat slightly and cook the figs until soft, about 7 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture sticking.
- When the figs are soft, increase the heat until you achieve a rolling boil. You want the mixture to boil, but don't want it to stick to the pan and burn, so moderate heat is best.
- Let the mixture boil for 5 minutes. Test for the jam setting, either with a jam thermometer (105 C/220 F) or by dropping a little of the mixture onto the back of a chilled spoon. If the jam runs off the spoon, it is not set.
- If the jam is set, remove the jars from the oven and pour the jam in, leaving a little room at the neck of the jar for your waxed disc. Add the lids and allow to cool. The jam will thicken as it cools.
- If the jam is not set, boil for another 5 minutes and repeat the testing.
With meat or poultry
With grilled halloumi
In/on pancakes or crêpes
On toast (always a winner)
As a glaze for meat or poultry
With fried tofu
With ice cream