Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipe
Rich, Delicious, Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipe
We love enchiladas. Tortillas are so easy to store, and they make throwing together enchilada casseroles a snap. Making the sauce from scratch is super simple too— but the results are so much better than what comes in a can that you'll find yourself reaching for this recipe over and over again.
This Will Be Your New Go-To Dinner
This sauce is rich—plenty of cumin, garlic, and chili powder give it an incredible flavor. Heating the flour and oil together at the beginning makes sure the sauce has a nice weight to it. It's heavier than canned sauces, so it clings to enchiladas better.
Mix leftover ground beef, chicken, or pork with a little cheese and some pintos or black beans, roll them up, and top them with homemade enchilada sauce for a lightning-fast weeknight meal that your family will love.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 14-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chili powder
Check Out This Quick Tutorial
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Add red pepper flakes, black pepper, and cumin, and whisk until combined. Bring up to a bare simmer.
- Add tomato sauce, and bring up to a simmer. Stir in garlic powder, kosher salt, and chili powder. Simmer for about 2 minutes and remove from heat. That's all there is to it—it's ready to use!
© 2017 Jan Charles