Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Rich, Delicious, Homemade Enchilada Sauce
This Will Be Your New Go-To Dinner
We love enchiladas. Tortillas are so easy to store, and they make throwing together enchilada casseroles a snap. Making the sauce from scratch is super simple too— but the results are so much better than what comes in a can that you'll find yourself reaching for this recipe over and over again.
This sauce is rich—plenty of cumin, garlic, and chili powder give it an incredible flavor. Heating the flour and oil together at the beginning makes sure the sauce has a nice weight to it. It's heavier than canned sauces, so it clings to enchiladas better.
Mix leftover ground beef, chicken, or pork with a little cheese and some pintos or black beans, roll them up, and top them with homemade enchilada sauce for a lightning fast weeknight meal that your family will love.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 14-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Add red pepper flakes, red pepper flakes, and cumin, and whisk until combined. Bring up to a bare simmer.
- Add tomato sauce, and bring up to a simmer. Stir in garlic powder, kosher salt, and chili powder. Simmer for about 2 minutes and remove from heat. That's all there is to it - it's ready to use!
Start with Whisking Flour Into Hot Oil
Add Spices to Hot Oil and Flour Mixture
Stir in Tomato Sauce
Stir in Remaining Seasonings
Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipe
Check Out the Quick Tutorial!
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Jan Charles