Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
Why Make Your Own Mayonnaise?
I think the answer should be, "Why not?" I'd seen contestants make mayonnaise on the popular cooking shows and always wanted to have a go at making my own but never did since I already had the squeeze bottle in my fridge. One day, we were having guests over and needed to make some coleslaw—and guess what? No mayonnaise in the fridge!
Checking which ingredients I needed to make my own, I realized I had everything already in the cupboard. The challenge was on. Could I make homemade mayonnaise quicker than getting shoes on and heading out to the store? Plus, store-bought mayo contains all of those suspect additives that make it last for months in direct sunlight—which is both miraculous and scary.
Your challenge, should you choose to accept it: Send your competitor to the store to buy mayo and see if you can make a homemade batch before they get back to the house and take their shoes off. (Please leave a reply below to let me know who won—unless you live in a shop that sells it.)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 150 ml olive oil
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1 small key lime (optional)
- In a stand mixer, add the egg yolks, vinegar, and mustard. Whisk all of the ingredients together with the balloon whisk attachment.
- Keep whisking on high speed (Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer 6–8) and slowly drizzle the oil into the yolk mix until emulsified. You will notice it change color and consistency.
- When emulsified, season to taste with salt and pepper. I like to add the juice of a key lime and mix until combined fully, but this is optional. Store it in a clean jar in the refrigerator.
I Hope You Enjoy This Recipe
Now you can see just how easy it is to make your own homemade mayonnaise. The best thing is you have the satisfaction of knowing what you are eating and that your body knows how to process these ingredients. So, finish off that squeeze bottle in the fridge, as it may be the last one you ever buy!
Rate This Recipe
© 2019 lemonkerdz