How to Make Fried Tomato and Garlic Dip or Sauce
This dip or sauce is versatile, and it can be used as a side dish for rotis, pancakes, thalipeeths, chapatis, snacks, pakoras, fritters, etc. You need only a few regular ingredients for making this tangy and buttery dip.
Heat a deep-bottomed pan. Pour some oil and a teaspoon of butter. Add some cumin seeds. Let them crackle. Throw in chopped onions and garlic cloves. Saute till onions turn transparent. Add chopped tomatoes. Stir-cook on medium-high fire till they become a little mushy. You can cook them by putting the lid on the pan for a while. Add kashmiri red chili powder or any other red chili powder, pepper powder, dried oregano leaves, fresh basil, sugar, and salt. Mix once. Turn off the fire. Keep aside for cooling.
When cold, grind the contents to get a smooth paste. Now, fried tomato and garlic dip is ready to serve. Eat it with roti, pacakes, snacks, fritters, or pakoras. Enjoy the yummy taste!
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder, kashmiri red chili powder preferred
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- a few fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp olive oil (or any other oil)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- Heat oil and butter in a deep-bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
- Throw in chopped onions and garlic. Saute until onion becomes pinkish and transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Saute over medium-high fire until they become mushy. You can cover the pan for fast cooking. If covering the pan, lower the heat.
- Once tomatoes are mushy, add dried oregano, fresh basil leaves, sugar, red chili powder, pepper powder, and salt. Mix the contents and turn off the fire. Set aside for cooling.
- Pour this mix into a mixer grinder. Make a smooth paste. Transfer it to a serving dish.
- Fried tomato and garlic dip or sauce is ready to eat. Serve it with pancakes, snacks, parotas, pakoras, fritters, rotis, or chapatis. Enjoy eating the herbal flavored, garlicky, and silky dip!
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 19 g||6%|
|Sugar 8 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 49 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|