My passion for cooking leads me to travel to different places, eat authentic local dishes, and inspire everybody to enjoy their lives!
Homemade Kecap Manis Recipe
Kecap manis is a famous Indonesian sweet soy sauce that is used as a dipping sauce, flavoring, and marinade for many dishes. It has the combined taste of soy sauce and oyster sauce, but the thick consistency of the latter.
In Indonesia, this condiment is inexpensive and easy to find in shops. In other countries, however, it is typically carried only in Asian stores, and it's often quite expensive. I like to make my own kecap manis, which helps me save money. I love using this condiment to flavor my stir-fry dishes. Recently, I added it to a stir-fry with duck and vegetables, with great results. Now, it's time for you to learn how to make this delicious recipe at home.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 inch size ginger, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 pieces star anise
- 2 pieces cloves
- 1 piece cinnamon bark
Cook Time and Yield
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 1/4 cups
For Preparing the Ingredients:
- 2 medium bowls
- 5 small bowls
- 1 small plate
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Chopping board
For Cooking Kecap Manis:
For Storing Kecap Manis:
- Condiment dispenser container
- Add all of the ingredients in a pot. Bring everything to a boil.
- Let it cool down before transferring it into a clean condiment dispenser.
- Keep it for future use.
Tips and Techniques
- Use kecap manis as a replacement for soy sauce or oyster sauce.
- Add it to your stir-fry vegetables or meats.
- Serve it as a sweet dip for your favorite grilled foods.
- Combine it with chili sauce or chili paste to make a sweet and spicy sauce or dip.
© 2018 Travel Chef
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on August 22, 2018:
This is absolutely a wonderful recipe that will let you taste the flavor of Indonesian foods!
Liz Westwood from UK on August 22, 2018:
This is a great idea.